PDA

View Full Version : cannister inlet outlet configuration

ren
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:38 PM
hey everyone

just wondering if someone could tell me the most efficient way to filter my tank. ive got an eheim 2213 and i just want to know where are the best places to put the inlet pipe and the outlet spray bar to get the best filtration

i made a quick basic diagram showing how my tank is setup now

and the second pic is if people want to edit it and show me how to better configure the bars

tank size is 3x18x20

thanks,
ren

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:56 PM
hey, i have attached a pic so you can see how it works. i only did it in 2D thoagh, easier to explain ;)

ok, the spray bar (green dot) pushed the water up the other end of the tank, the water hits the wall and is forced down and the hits the floor so the water is then pushed back towards the end with the spray bar. the cycle works in an oval kind of direction if you get what i mean.

so all the debris will collect on the floor under where the spray bar is because there is least current in that area.

so put you intake and spray bar on the same side of the tank and all the debris will be collected :D

hope that helps.

cheers
Davo

ren
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:21 AM
wow fast reply :)

that makes sense..

thanks davo

Dee
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
Hello Ren,

The Eheim manuals also recommend that the placement of the intake pipe and spray bar are as GoldenPidgeon has illustrated. This is the placement I have used in many tanks and it works very well IMO, it also offers maximum circulation of the tank water.

HTH

Cheers,

Dee :D

goldenpigeon
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:58 AM
no problem ren. happy to help mate :)

FishLover
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:03 AM
This will work if the tank is not too long. There is only that far the filter can push.

goldenpigeon
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:50 AM
Fishlover,
in one sense you are right. but considering the tank should be fully filtered at least 4 times an hour (general tanks such as display tanks etc. there are some variables in breeding set ups etc), then the filter (s) should be powerful enough to make this sort of current.

if you were using 2 smaller canisters you could just put both spray bars and inlets on the same end and with the combined strength of the 2 filters this current will happen.

of course you need to keep in mind the maount of filtration you need when getting a tank, so really the current cutting out because of length should not occur if appropriate filtration was purchased.

cheers
David

FishLover
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks David. You are right. My case is a bit different.

I have a 6 footer with one Fluval (sp?) 404 and one 304. I was thinking of they may not have enough power to push water 6 feet away and 6 feet back. I ended up lining up the spay bars at the back of the tank (close to the top), which almost covered the full length of the tank. I used another power head at the other end to push the water back to the inlets. The power head outlet is connected to an UV unit.

That set up seems to be working for me. I had to use the power head to help pushing the water around anyway. Adding an UV unit was the after thought, which worked out fine.

goldenpigeon
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:10 AM
hey Fishlover,
yeah tanks can be set up differently. this is just the basic way of setting up a canister filter. ofcourse you get your oddball tanks which require different ways of filtering.

the powerhead idea was good with your 6fter.

cheers
David