PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers for CO2

shewey
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:48 AM
Hi All,

There has been a bit of talk of people using CO2 fire extinguisher's over the last couple of weeks instead of renting a cylinder from BOC etc. I just wanted to find out how much people are paying for them? I did a quick look today and it looks like they average $300 - $400 for a 2 - 5 kg one. Anyone know of where you can get them cheap? At that price I may as well try rent one from a hydroponics shop.

Cheers,
Mark

anti-generic
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
i paid $100 for mine. and refill is $70. i guess you gotta shop around.

Regards,
Eric

Robdog
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 03:58 PM
I read somewhere that home brew shops sell good priced co2 cylinders. Might be worth a look.

TomNS
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:50 PM
I read somewhere that home brew shops sell good priced co2 cylinders. Might be worth a look.

The "AirUp" system is around $270 last time I priced one - food grade CO2
it is what the home brewers use (well some of them anyway)

Tom

Bad Inferno
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:39 AM
Try going to a fire extinguisher recharge outlet and ask them if they can test and certify an old bottle for you...I paid 40.00 and 1 dozen beers for a refill

SandyLynne
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:55 PM
I work for Wormald and we quite often sell second hand extinguishers. Just make sure that they are in date which means that they have been pressure tested which is required every 5 years.

Also be careful buying fire extinguishers as they have different threads, male and female. You need to make sure that the regulator and the extinguisher have opposite threads to be able to connect, male to female or female to male.

Bad Inferno
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:19 PM
it did cost me 20.00 for an adapter between the bottle and the CO2 reg.