PDA

View Full Version : advice on new set up: plants/substrate

loiki1
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi all
have been reaqding some of the past discussions...reallly helpful

but now i am soo confused...
My question for whoever is

I want to set up a planted discus environment. I dont know what to choose for a suitable substrate for optimal growth.
I have some lovely river rocks that were in my previous tank and want to add some driftwood but...what is best for plant survival. I have a basic gravel that i wanted to change for a better looking choice.Do i go with sand? the new ADA aqua soil sounds good but am i getting myself into something that may be even more work/cost?
I want the plant to grow (obviuosly but not so easy) but if they are planted in sand do i need regular fertilizer?

p.S i am only a noobie to the discus world so please remember to KISS :?

Robdog
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
If you've got the cash then go with the ADA soils. They come in a few different colours and sizes and the plant growth is really good and I doubt they will create any more work for you. Maybe trimming plants I guess.
There are plenty of different sands out there, some are good, some aren't so good. Bunnings River sand is cheap ($5 for 20kg) and looks natural but needs to be washed REALLY well. The pool filter sand is supposed to be good also but I haven't tried it.

Find out the look you are going for and then work around that. But which ever substrate you chose you will still need a fertilizer of some sort.

HTH

loiki1
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
not sure i do have the cash but i got my hands on the The style of ada 2006 catlogue andboy it looks great! Thanks

Nathan
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
if youve got the cash then definitely go the ADA aquasoils, this stuff allows you to plant nearly all plants (as long as u have adequette lighting co2 etc) an even if you dont have those things this stuff will enable MUCH better results then any other substrate out there.

Noddy65
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:25 AM
Just to confuse you even more, heres a pic of my tank

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/4latest.jpg

It has plain boring aquarium gravel, nothing else. I have to trim the plants every week.

If money is no object then go for the ADA soils, good lighting etc.
But if money IS an issue it may be wiser to spend the money on good lighting (ie enough watts at the correct Kelvin).
Im not convinced that the limiting step is the substrate I think in poor performing tanks it's the lighting. Any inadequacy in the substrate can be compensated by using ferts.
Good soils wont compensate enough if lighting is inadequate.

Mike

Mulisha
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Noddy what size tank and how much lighting does it have?

Could you post up some specs on it looks awersome.. 8-) 8-)

anti-generic
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:14 PM
i guess it depends on the plant choice aswell. Swords and crypts need quite abit of root feeding. You can also consider boosting up your gravel with natural peat and slow release root fertilizers.

but bare in mind one important thing!!! when you start your tank increase things like lighting and ferts gradually. Don't ever dose the recommended amount the first day you start planting. You'll be growing algea instead.

Regards,
Eric

Noddy65
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hi all...its a 4 x 2 x 2.
325 watts of T5 flouros.
Substarte is the plain brown aquarium gravel that sells for$17.00 a 25 kg bag. I use the coarser stuff at the back and the finer grade at the front for the glosso.
I sort of use the EI method but found that it really does over fert the tank and I get severe algae issues. I now just use the usual dry ferts once or twice a week, I use Iron and Flourish once or twice a week.
I originally had some hair, BBA and green water but as the tank has matured it has settled down. Growth was astounding right from the start and improved even more when I started using pressurised CO2.

Thats it really, its not rocket science but it does take a little time to learn what each individual tank needs.

Mike

Noddy65
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:42 PM
Oh and I do a 40% - 50% water change weekly...

duck
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:22 PM
Here are few other's that will do a good job
Flourite
EcoComplete
redsea flora base
JBL
Dupla ground

loiki1
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:06 PM
Wow what an inspiration! thanks for including a picture its great to see what people have done.
before i looked into this i had no idea tanks could look like mini worlds..I cant wait to get started. Ive had problems using fertiliser before but its so great to get all this advice i feel more confident to have a go.
Now i just need to make a decision hmmmmm
thanks everyone

Nathan
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
well if u have any other problems or need any help eveyone will be right here willing to give u a hand.

loiki1
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone
I love the fact there are peolpe who are willling to help out and give their input. No doubt i will have more questions once i get the set up completed.