PDA

View Full Version : Advice on kickstarting the cycle on a new filter...

stardotstar
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 07:17 AM
I am shortly to aquire my new 5' setup for my juvenile cichlids. They are currently overloading my 2' tank and requiring very constant water changes and so I want to cycle in my new tank quickly but properly.

It occurs to me that I could kill two birds with one stone by putting the new canister filter onto the 2' to kick start the biological cycle in it while I install and perpare my new aquarium - it will probably take a week or so before I have all my sand washed and ready, and the other equipment and stand all ready for water and cycling.

What do you think or will the filter 2340l/hr be waaaay too powerful for a 60l tank! :shock:

I currently run an intank eheim filter with a simple foam core in it.

There are 4 juvenile cichlids in this 2' and a couple of small cats.

Will

taksan
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
What type of filter is it?

Mulisha
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
What do you think or will the filter 2340l/hr be waaaay too powerful for a 60l tank! :shock:

IMHO yes that's way to powerfull would be like a washing machine so i wouldn't suggest it. What you could do is when the other tank is ready add ur filter out of ya 2' tank into the new one and that will be fine with w/c everyday maybe 2nd day for a week or so so that the new filter can catch up.

Also what you could do is get a stocking and put ur bio media out of the canister ment for the new tank. Put the stocking with bio media in it into the 2ft tank and that will get bacteria growing on it as well while you set the new one up.

HTH

Good luck mate hope i helped in some way.. !

stardotstar
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
Awesome idea Rick - I think I will try that stocking idea since looking at the Aqua One Aquis 2400 rig it is way too big to easily fit into the 2' anyway!!

Mulisha
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 10:33 AM
glad i could help you out. I wouldn't minf buying one of those canisters either there ment to be very good!! 8-)

stardotstar
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:00 AM
OK here is what I have done:

Took the bio media out of the package and rinsed it thoroughly in tap water to get rid of most of the fine grain ceramic grit and dust.

Put it in a large chux and used a twistie to neck it off and keep it in a ball.

Then I put that in my tank w/c bucket and took 2 L of tank water then rinsed the intank filter core out in that and replaced it into the tank. Then I allowed the bio material to mix by agitating the mixture and then let it sit for a while then drained and put in the tank.

My therory is that buy rinsing the media in tank water and a dose of material from the existing filter enough material will get into the cores and surface area of the media to get things going now that it is sitting in the 60L tank.

Next step will be to leave it and do normal water changes in that tank ever 2nd day till the new tank is ready. Then begin a cycle on the new tank - maybe doing the same kind of thing again (using the core and water from my other goldfish tank) when I prime the filter in the new tank.

What do you think? sound OK. I have to keep the 60L running safely right thorughout because I am only taking the cichlids out of it for the big tank.

I will be happy to let you know my experience with this canister. Looks well designed from what I have seen - solid and large capacity.

Should I do anything of this kind to speed things along with any of the other media??

Will

Mulisha
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:31 AM
OK thanks sounds fine if you leave both ur sponge filter and the new bio media in ya 2' for however long while setting up the new tank it will be a great idea.
When it comes time to move the fish to the new tank i would do w/c on the 2' tank and putting the water into your new tank trying to keep the ph and temp etc the same as both tank so when you put the sponge filter and set up the cainster on the tank with it already cycled media you won't kill the bacteria.

I wouldn't add water from your goldfish bowl becuase is may have some diseases or something like that and really wouldn't help..

Goodluck.. !

stardotstar
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 02:21 PM
OK Cool, thanks for the tips. I will certainly do a water change into the new tank. Thinking I could also add dirty water change water with a core sponge squeezed out into it, into the new tank once it is running and before I add the fish. Perhaps also put gravel from the small/old tank into the chux and sit that in the new tank as well (I will be using sand so dont' want to mix the gravel).

I figure if the brown gunky water goes into the new tank before any stock is added it will only seed the new filter, which added to the previously seeded bio media should get things happening very nicely.

Will not mix with the goldfish.

Cheers,
Will