PDA

View Full Version : Baby

benjohnson
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hello

I have now got my baby fiosh that I hand reared from a week old, they are 6 and Half weeks old now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was wondering... at what age should they start to inherit their parents red turq colour ?

I am sooooo happy with them , they are really inquisitive, and are growing really well and look like miniature discus now :) :)

For future reference if anyone ever has to do this .... Temp is al;ways 30 - 31 degreees centigrade , I do a water change every day . I started out having an air pump run slow sponge filter and have now put a fluval number 2 filter in .

I have fed them on BBS and Tetrafin baby powder , which I have now changed to tetra fin mini and they are getting on really well.

Also, my parents have had a spawn of 30 fry this morning , so we could well be in the business soon !!!! Hopefully they will raise these themselves and "Dad Ben" won't have to step in again !!

Cheers

Lady Red : FYI I have upped the changes in my main vuewing tank and they are doing even better now and params are looking a lot better :-)

Ben

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 06:48 AM
Well done Ben.

You are to be congratulated on doing a great job.

Time for some photos ??? :P

Ben
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 11:04 AM
Well done BJ!

We love pics mate!

cheers

Nathan
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
good stuff ben, yea a few pics would be great.

a bit off topic but just curious as to what that black mark is on the discus in your avatar? kinda looks like some sort of shock?

benjohnson
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hello

Can anyone answer my question about when they will get their colour??

Nathan - No it isnt a shock. Both parents have the exact same markings in their tail. They have had it since I bought them , I was told it was bred into them . I have also seen other fish with similiar markings over here, so I am not overly concerned about it.

Also , I guess I would be right inthinking that if it was a shock mark , then it wouldnt be passed onto the baby's markings. They dont have their colour yet so cant tel for definae, but they do have a dark line by their tail so perhaps that is the same marking forming

I have attached a piccy of the little ones, as you can see they have got all their shape now , just waitingon getting some colour into them !!!#

the_oracle
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
BJ,
They will start to color in 3 to 4 months. You will see shady striations start coming out and slowly developing into more intensed lines.....By 9 months, you will see 3/4 of the body with striations. Some will develop the striations earlier while some may take a lil while longer.
That black thing on the tail region, I'm afraid if it's in the parents' gene, it will carry on to the juvs.
It's good to continue your daily WC. They need fresh water to enhance their growth. And you can introduce BH to them. You have to mince the BH to a fine paste in order for them to eat. They will choke to death if it's too big for them to swallow.............

Sanie.