PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a planted tank.

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:25 AM
Hi, guys looking at all your great planted tanks i think is time to show you mine. It's been a ongoing project for the past year.

Tank size is 6x2x2
Volume 680ltr
Dunno the water specs but its constant.
Ferts are my adaptation of PPS
dose 1 tea spoon of KNO3 and K2SO4 every 2 days.
dose Flourish, flourish iron and flourish phosphates every 3 days
change water everyweek 50% buffer tap water with seachem equilibrium only
Co2 from fire extinguisher 1 bubble per second. on 24hrs a day
lights 2x150w 10000K MH noon burst lights 5hrs a day
6x55w 6500k PC on 10 hrs a day
Substrate bottom level peatmoss + peat pellets
top level aquaclay 8bags

hope you guys enjoy it!

Cheers,
Eric

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:28 AM
more...

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:29 AM
more...

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:31 AM
more..

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:34 AM
equipment

duck
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:35 AM
Nice

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:36 AM
last 2 shots

duck
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:57 AM
I missed the last picture's.
I wish i could keep my cabinets nice clean like your's.
What are you using for the CO2,Reactor?

anti-generic
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 06:23 AM
Co2 reactor is a bioplast
you can see it on the left on the tank on the full tank shots. the black cylinder covered in algea. It's connected to the water outlet of my filter and it pushes bubbles down through a plastic honeycombe. it's not very pretty to look at IMO.

AussieStar
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:45 PM
mate your tak is outstanding, have always wanted to have something like that

Phlipper
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:56 PM
Very nice indeed, how in hell do you manage to stop the fish pulling out the hairgrass, I give up on hairgrass for that very reason. You are using a fire extinguisher for a gas bottle, correct ? Where do you manage to get that refilled, and is the Co2 in food grade or industrial grade ?

PS : love the Daddy Longlegs spider that's taken up residence in the cabinet :lol: 8-)

anti-generic
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Phil, i can't stop fish pulling out my hair grass. thats why i want to catch my yoyo loaches. i have to cut the uprooted shoots every few days. But if you look at my pic from 3 months back my hairgrass grew at a accelerated rate out cometing the loaches.

The co2 gets refilled at any place that services fire extinguishers. Sometimes they exchange your bottle for filled one or they make you wait till they refill it. As for the grade of CO2 i believe it'll be no different than the BOC gas bottles for welding.

Regards,
Eric

DR.V
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
Is this the tank that your tried to catch your yoyo loach from ?

*Chris*
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:14 AM
so when does the fire brigade want there extinguisher back ? :lol:
no mate that tanks looks awesome the power of DIY
:lol:
EXAI

shewey
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:29 AM
Thats a beautiful tank!!

How do you buy the fire extinguisher? Do you just take off the fire hose thing and screw your reg into there? When you do that will the tank empty? or do you just lose a bit of CO2 during the un-screwing process? I guess then you need to tie down the extinguisher lever so that it is permanently on? Its a great idea I think I will go down the same route.

Cheers,
Mark

*Chris*
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:35 AM
what does the longlegs spider do in the co2 process????????

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 08:00 PM
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING..........................
Well done, bro..................
And btw, love that spider too.................

Sanie.

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 08:02 PM
Mate,
Why dont you put in some altums...............They'll look great in your set-up.................

Sanie.

anti-generic
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 01:33 AM
Dr.V, yes thats the tank the loaches live in now. i'll try making another trap for them this weekend.

There are alot of fire protection companies that service industrial factories. They are usually more than happy to sell you a fire-extingusher for your home. Do make sure though, when you are buying one, the flange size is the same as your regulator.

All fire extingishers have a lock down pin thats lets you lock down the trigger. the Co2 won't blast until you pull the trigger. so its easy to rig everything up. I used plumbing tape on the flange threads to help stop leakage.

Haha.. i call the spyder Bob. He's been there for weeks now.

Once again thanks for the all the replies.

Regards,
Eric

Robdog
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:35 AM
I believe the spider is used as a bubble counter. He just sits in there and when asked, will tell you how many bubbles per second.
Either that or it's similar to the canary in the mineshaft. When the spider dies, you know the plumbing tape isn't stopping the leaks

gro
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 02:27 AM
eric,

great tank, still looking like that is it! and is bob still hanging round!

you spoke of a trap to catch your loaches, mine are getting big and think it might be time for them to relocate.

How do you make your trap? do you do the cut soft drink bottle thing?

cheers

gro