PDA

View Full Version : Not just another water change question.

bnii
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 04:18 AM
I have a 55 gallon that I just started keeping discus 2 months ago. I have 3 Discus, about 3 inches, 4 angels about 4 inches, and 5 corys, 2 adults and 3 babies. I have been doing 30-50% water changes twice a week. I was suppost to do a water change last night, but had an emergeny and had to leave state. So I checked my water condition and this is what I found. Ammonia is 0. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is about 5, maybe a little less. Ph 7.2. So here is my question, do I still need to do a water change even though its almost 10:00 at night? Can I wait?

sammigold
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 04:34 AM
I would say you can wait... I assume you would rather do it in the morning?.... :-) Relax....it will be ok...

Now, if your fish were looking unhappy, hovering at the top, listless etc... and your water conditions were not what they are... then you would need to do one....

trust yourself... they will be fine for the night... have a good sleep....

bnii
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 04:46 AM
They are swimming all over the place. They came and ate out of my hand like normal, the cories are swimming all over the place, like they are middle feeders or something. Heres my next question then. If my nitrate stay at 5 for a week, can I space my water changes out to once a week, at least until my nitrate start to elevate, or the fish get larger?

sammigold
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 04:22 AM
It is really a personal choice.... most people will say that whilst your discus are small the extra water changes are very beneficial to their growth...

I would say that if you can manage 2 a week as you are doing then continue to do this, but if you sometimes miss one it will still be ok....

Ultimately your fish will tell you, with their behaviour and rate of growth...:-)

bnii
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 04:38 AM
I got it done in both tanks tonight. I did 20 gallons in the discus tank and 10 gallons in the severum tank. They were all blowing me kisses tonight after I did it.

FishLover
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 07:37 PM
If you have less bio load in the tank, you can get away with less WC. I have 11 4" discus in my 125 g tank and I do a 40% wc each week.

I was on vacation about few months back and did not do wc for 5 weeks. I did 2 50% wc right before I left, and put some nitrate removal in the tank. I also have some plants too. With reduced feed (auto feeder) and they all did OK. Kind of skinny when I got back.

I would not do that all the time but with less bio load, you can get it away once a while.

*Chris*
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:27 AM
if you want your discus to grow to there maximum potential water changes are the key .
i do water changes of 50% either everyday or every second day depending on how i feel LOL
more water changes= happy and fast growing discus
EXAI