PDA

View Full Version : How many discus can i keep in a 46 gallon bowfront

stevejr
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 05:50 AM
Hi all i have a 46 gallon bowfront barebottom tank with a wet dry filter and a cannister filter for filtration, with the water in the wet dry i probably have about 52 gallon capacity. My question is with daily water changes how many discus should i keep? I want to have 6 is that pushing it? Thanks much to all that answer!

DIY
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 06:28 AM
IMO with bare-bottom, no tank mates and daily water changes you should be ok. With daily water changes you can keep the tank clear of waste and looking good.

6 discus is a good number to keep, a larger tank would be better as it would allow you to miss a few water changes with a bit of a safety margin though.

stevejr
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 06:50 AM
So should i just go for 5 instead then? I really don't want to take too many risks.

samir
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
i'd go 4 :?

DIY
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
As samir suggested, start with 4, and be prepared for a case of upgrade-itis once you get hooked...

I started with a 55gallon, now I have a 150 and a 40, and considering a 3rd :lol:

mcloughlin2
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:02 AM
I say 4 aswell .. You "May" be able to fit 5 providing there are no tankmates and you do 2 - 30% water changes a week ...

Discus are not the sort of fish you crowd, they are an expensive fish and you don't want to subject them to poor conditions caused by overcrowding .. Its best tp understock a tank then overstock IMO ..

And plus the reward you get from watching 4 healthy discus swimming together will be far greater then watching 6 discus of not great health ..

In saying this, yes it can be done but the benefits of not overcrowding far outnumber those of overcrowding ..

HTH

Sam

stevejr
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:22 AM
I plan on doing daily wc's not 2-3 times a week. Will this make a difference?