PDA

View Full Version : Getting the ph down how ?

Tunnel Rat
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:16 AM
Hi gang
I just set up a new tank I went with the fine black gravel Wayne told me it had a ph buffing affect but it was the only gravel I liked. It is buffing it up to about ph-8.0 I would like it around ph 7.0-7.5 got any ideas ?
The fish in the tank will be Bichirs & a RTG.
I already have wood in there the only thing I can think of is adding peat and then add bio-zorb to remove the tannins which I do not want to do.
I could remove the gravel but there is just no fine dark stuff out there to replace it with :(
thx for any help

Rat

Ben
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 05:25 AM
This stuff works a treat!
And would be excellent for your needs!

I like it soo much i buy it in 4kg tubs!

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/neytralRegulator.html

flaggy
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Ben

Any problems with the phosphates from the Neutral Regulator? I like the idea but not sure whether this will cause major algae problems. I have mainly a fish-only tank with silk plants, but want to start adding some live plants.

Cheers

sharkbaitnemo
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:56 AM
I had exactly the same problem with fine black gravel and found it impossible to keep the pH down. The black gravel also rich in iron and causes black hair agae on plants.
The only solution was to remove the gravel.

FishLover
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 01:49 PM
I agree with sharkbaitnemo. Whatever you add to lower the pH, the gravel will bunce it back till all irons are gone, which is almost impossible as long as you have the gravel in the tank.

Remove the gravel is the only thing you can do if you want to keep the pH down.

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:41 PM
I am looking to try this stuff, ADA Amazonia.
can anybody comment on this product ?

I've got the powder in 2 of my small tanks. One is a little planted tank, been set up for a week or 2 now and ph is around 5.7 but I filled it with peat filtered water when I set it up. The ph hasn't moved much at all. I want it a bit higher.
The other I only setup this arvo so it's sitting at 6.5 but with straight tap water at 7.5.

Its nice and dark and looks really good.

Tunnel Rat
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the help guys looks like it is coming out as I do not wish to add stuff to the water all the time but just do not know what I can use for the same look ?
Shark that ADA stuff looks good but sounds like it will lower my ph too much i would like a ph of 7.0 -7.5.
Not looking forward to removing all that gravel 50 kg of it in a up and running tank :(

life sucks

Rat

sharkbaitnemo
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
Robdog: what size is the grain size of the powder ?

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:06 PM
I've got three planted tanks filled with the ADA Amazon soil (not the powder) Looks wonderful. It's a rich brown chocolate colour, and is holding the pH at 6.5 with ease.

Fish seem to love it, and the plants are looking pretty darn good too. :P

bspec
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 02:40 AM
you can try using morena a product by sera its a peat extract which will slowly reduce your p.h and its also great to use for aro's.

Tunnel Rat
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the help guys :D
I have removed the gravel replace it with the normal brown crap but very fine looks ok no as good as the black did.
I just did not wish to keep adding ?# all the time so its gone so far after a big w/c sitting at Ph 7.2.

thx
Rat

Robdog
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:31 PM
Sorry I never replied back to this. The grain size of the powder is small. Really small. I guess each grain is around 1.5mm. but it seems you have made you choice already.

Tunnel Rat
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry I never replied back to this. The grain size of the powder is small. Really small. I guess each grain is around 1.5mm. but it seems you have made you choice already.

Thx Rob
I did not want my ph any lower then ph 7.0 thats why I did not go with that soil.

thx
Rat

Stingray
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:26 AM
Rat,
I think you will find that brown gravel is also granite based (just like the black gravels) and has a ph increasing effect also. I could be wrong though, so let us know how you go with ph.

g.c.discus
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 03:48 PM
could you add some amazon soil to existing standard gravel to help buffer ph level? does the standard gravel sold have any effect on ph?

g.c.discus
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 03:51 PM
does the amazon soil stain the water colour?

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 03:48 AM
The amazonia soil will stain the water slightly when you first use it,because of the peat in it, but it can be easily removed with a packet of Seachem Bio Chemzorb in the filter.

It will gently lower you pH, but not drop it to extremes. I have already used it in several tanks as a fine layer over the top of existing substrate.

Robdog
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:21 AM
Having said that LR, how do you keep the ph so low in your Betta Macro tank?

Tunnel Rat
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:55 AM
Rat,
I think you will find that brown gravel is also granite based (just like the black gravels) and has a ph increasing effect also. I could be wrong though, so let us know how you go with ph.

Will seeing that this thread is back to life looks like I over looked a reply.
The new gravel did not look as good as the black but my ph is now sitting on ph 7-7.2 I had to add a bag of coral sand to stop the ph from crashing as the water is so soft.
I must post a pic of the tank soon after all it is one of proteus old tanks.

Rat

g.c.discus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:35 AM
nobody in qld has ada aqua soil off to the on line store:) rang numerous shops, had them try and sell various other substrates.

sharkbaitnemo
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have half a bag of the ADA amazonia normal soil to sell. I am in Brisbane if you want to pick up.