PDA

View Full Version : DIY MH lights - factory light modifications

TomNS
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:45 PM
Hi guys,

I have picked up two 150w MH lights brand new for less than $100 each.

The were originally made for a factory and have massive diffusers on them which don't really lend themselves to aqua use.

I intend to take them out of their large plastic diffusers and make a canopy with ali reflectors and some nice ventilation etc. I really only have three questions,

1. Does anyone know whether I can extend the power line running to the MH socket itself as I could then remote mount the ballast againt a big fat ali heat sink to help will cooling and improve logenvity. I was thinking of going up a few sizes to 4mm2 wire and soldiering it all up - IMO an addition 4 feet of high quality cable should make virtually no difference in voltage drop - just after opinions.

2. The lights came with OSRAM 150w bulbs that are marked as "neutral white E27" but to be honest the look a little yellow in comparison to the Compact flourescent light I have. Which is the best screw in MH bulb for plant work - should I just ask a hydroponic shop ?

3. I was thinking of mounting these puppies about between 200mm and 300mm off the top of the tank - does everyone reckon that is ok ?

Cheers guys
Tom

ellwa
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:18 PM
You can extend the cables for the ballast without any dramas, but I would be avoiding the use of solder.

The way to go is a trip to bunnings, and get some 240V 20Amp screw terminal connectors. 4mm^2 wire should be fine, but with the use of the correct connectors, you'll be sweet.

those E26 lamps are awsome for exhibitions[I do lighting and rigging for them, using those same fixtures] but for aquatic use, you can find lamps with the same lamp base, designed for aquariums.

ellwa
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:21 PM
You can extend the cables for the ballast without any dramas, but I would be avoiding the use of solder.

The way to go is a trip to bunnings, and get some 240V 20Amp screw terminal connectors. 4mm^2 wire should be fine, but with the use of the correct connectors, you'll be sweet.

those E26 lamps are awsome for exhibitions[I do lighting and rigging for them, using those same fixtures] but for aquatic use, you can find lamps with the same lamp base, designed for aquariums.

that should read E27, sorry.

TomNS
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks

The other thing I though was just replacing the e27 socket with a double ended MH fitting, I was just worried about the bulbs/lamps for the e27s seemed to only have a rather low kelvin rating (like 4000K was the highest I could find) - do I just need to look harder ?

My thoughts were that I have to build the whole enclosure anyway I may as well change the socket now if I would get better, brighter more plant friendly globes/bulbs

Would be interested in your thoughts thanks you help is appreciated

Tom

ellwa
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks

The other thing I though was just replacing the e27 socket with a double ended MH fitting, I was just worried about the bulbs/lamps for the e27s seemed to only have a rather low kelvin rating (like 4000K was the highest I could find) - do I just need to look harder ?

My thoughts were that I have to build the whole enclosure anyway I may as well change the socket now if I would get better, brighter more plant friendly globes/bulbs

Would be interested in your thoughts thanks you help is appreciated

Tom

You will need to check if the same wires go into the lamp base.

I'm not sure how MH is wired, I haven't looked at the ones at work, further than knowing they are just a screw in E27, I dont know what goes into the lampbase, and what you need to go into the lampbase on the other side.

StonX
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:08 AM
Someone told me, the unit to the balast must be maximum of 1 metre. Not sure whether its true or not. They told me if its over, it wont be stable.