PDA

View Full Version : Airstone makes lotta difference for increasing oxygen?

krich
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:12 AM
My concern is that I'm trying to reduce some extra noise caused from using the airpump with my tank. My system already has a good fiteration system that suck water both from top and bottom to pass the mediass (bioballs included) then jetting it from the side of its bottom.

Some said only watermovement generated by filtering process is not enough. I'm not sure and also don't want to take risk as well.

Any guys can share your experience?

My tank:

83 Gallons: 19 mbunas plus 2 clown loaches and 1 sucker.
20 Gallons: 4 discuses, 12 neons, 1 clownloach (plan to move all into 83 gallons tank next month)

Bottom line: If airpump is worth it, how can we minimize their noise?

THANKs !!

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:19 AM
Buy a good quality one I guess.

I know Eheim airpump is quite but obviously more expensive compare to Chinese brand.

flaggy
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:40 AM
buy good quality one as suggested above

or put the noisy cheaper one inside a cabinet and on something that will aborb some of the vibration/noise like a piece of thick rug, and close the door!

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:43 AM
I wrapped one of my cheapo with tea towel and tie it with rubber band.

Or you can just block your ear so you cant hear anything LOL J/k

Good luck.

samir
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:43 AM
if you're in oz get a stellar 60 from APW. you wont be dissapointed and it can match the eheim.

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
I wrap mine up with a old jumper or shirt .... :wink:

krich
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:52 AM
that's almost exactly what I did last night. Wrapping it with a thick tape plus some tissue papers before stuffing it back to the tank cover. Still hear some noise but it's much better!

chris
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:30 AM
I dont run airpumps on any of my tanks except my two foot breeding tanks as I use sponge filters on them. If the outlet on your canister breaks the water tension enough there is no need for an airstone.

I there not getting enough oxygen in the water they will gasp at the top of the tank.
If running an air pump I use hailea. There about $20-$30. But I must try one of those Ehiem ones to see and hear the difference.

DiscusMad
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
if you hang it up with a pice of string it will cut down alot of noise

DIY
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:49 PM
Even better,

Put one of those small "screw-in" hooks at the top inside your cabinet and hang the pump by a thick rubber band. Shut the door and you'll just hear air bubbles in the water and the faintest of hums

FishLover
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 02:36 PM
No air pump is necessary if you have enough water movement at the surface. I don't use air pumps any more. I just direct my cannister filter outlets toward the surface of the tank and they create lost of movements for gas exchange. No need for air pump.

endless
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 07:53 AM
Yep a spraybar above the water level should do the trick. Try this and monitor your fish carefully to see if their breathing patterns change. My experience says it shouldnt and spraybar above the water level is more than ample to provide oxygen to your fish and biofilter

Dee
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
Hi All,

I was a avid user of air pumps and airstones for years. Although on my latest tank, I only have the spray bar output just below the surface pointed up and this provides enough surface aggitation.

I have always disliked the noise air pumps generate ( my tank is in the dining room), so it was a welcomed change to not have to use one.

My fish have shown no signs of missing the air pump/air stone combo and I have noticed no change in resperation rates.

HTH

Cheers,

Dee. :D