PDA

View Full Version : hazzy water

azzakat
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 06:18 AM
I've been having trouble with water clarity in my 3ft 120Ltr tank.
I'm running a 4 stage filter and have no plants in the tank but do have 3mm rocks covering the bottom (about 1cm high) and a piece of driftwood. The tank has 6 discus around 5cm and 3 bristlenose. Food is 2 cubes bloodworm twice a week and other days are tetra bits (small pinch) and 1 alge flake for BN. Clarity improves after WC but give it a day or so and it clouds up again. :?: :?: :?:

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 06:41 AM
How much water are you changing ?

How old is the setup ?

2 cubes of bloodworms for 6 discus is not enough.

azzakat
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:00 AM
I change 30-40Ltrs and i was putting 3 cubes bloodworm in but it was to much there was lots uneaten and was poluting the water. I've had the setup for 1 year and i added the rocks about 3 weeks ago and washed them well the water was clear untill about friday 15 sep

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:05 AM
I was thinking that you cleaned your filter lately and kill all the bacteria.

Did you check your water parameter ?

azzakat
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:20 AM
yeah cleaned it before i put the rocks in also did the WC then 2

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:26 AM
Did you use tap water to clean the filter ?

Or did you use the tank water ?

If you use tap water, the you've kill most of the good bacteria.

What you can do is wait for a few months until there enough bacteria again in the filter or you can get a biostarter.

Good luck.

FishLover
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
Most likely, your bio load is too much for your filter. Either you killed your filter media or it is not big enough to handle that many fish in the tank.

Keep up the water changes, everyday if possible, till the filter re-establish again in few weeks. If the problem not going away in few weeks, you will have to less the bio load in the tank. If you do not keep up the water changes when water condition is not good, your discus will be in trouble.

azzakat
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 07:54 AM
Great advice all. I will buy a product called cycle, it's basically billions of good bacteria in a bottle made to accelerate the bio cycle in new tanks

Mulisha
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:15 AM
Great advice all. I will buy a product called cycle, it's basically billions of good bacteria in a bottle made to accelerate the bio cycle in new tanks

IMHO Sometimes it's better to get a bit of bio stuff out of a already set up tank like some gravel a heater or bio balls or something like that.

HTH

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:32 AM
Time to do some tests on your water Aaron.

Seems your filter must be cycling again.

azzakat
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 05:33 AM
went away for the weekend and came home to find the water crystal clear???
I didn't get around to doing anything about it and as luck would have it all is well

DR.V
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 06:46 AM
Did the bacteria grow back that fast ??

Anyway, thats good for you hehe...