PDA

View Full Version : Just for curiousity - how successful are you?

DIY
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 03:06 AM
Fun question time :lol:

There's usually a few threads regarding eggs (like mine)
Some threads for wrigglers, and the occasional fry thread.

So how far have you managed to get to?

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
That's a very interesting topic. Most people think that once they have managed to get wrigglers, they have achieved success.

Getting wrigglers and having fry attach is wonderful, but it's really just the first stage.

The second stage is keeping the fry growing once they leave the parents. This can be very frustrating if you get a bit slack with feeding and water changing.

Forget a few waterchanges, and the fry will at best, seem to be at a standstill, and at worse, won't survive.

This really is the time that your daily water changes are essential.

the_oracle
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
Got to agree with you, Merrilyn............
It's a never ending learning process and not to mention, thrill...........
Raising them from young. Getting them to pair up and eventually spawning. Learning their character during spawning. Switching couples if they're not compatible. Observing them guarding the eggs. Quietly watching the wrigglers swimming. Feeding on the mucus on the parents body. Preparing of baby brine shrimps. Start feeding them with finely minced BH. Daily WC. And watching them grow to adults............... And so the cycle starts again................And at the end of the day, you'll be proud of your achievement.............

Sanie.

DIY
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:39 AM
That's a very interesting topic. Most people think that once they have managed to get wrigglers, they have achieved success.

Getting wrigglers and having fry attach is wonderful, but it's really just the first stage.

The second stage is keeping the fry growing once they leave the parents. This can be very frustrating if you get a bit slack with feeding and water changing.

Forget a few waterchanges, and the fry will at best, seem to be at a standstill, and at worse, won't survive.

This really is the time that your daily water changes are essential.

Thanks Merrilyn,

Not getting that far (yet) I was curious. I suspected that my problem with not getting fertilised eggs was just one challenge of many on the path to the holy grail of Discus breeding!

Although according to the Poll currently we are a very successful group of breeders 72% have had ultimate success :shock: