PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

africandiscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 08:40 AM
I just want to find out from a few people what filtration are they usinf.

I am using an eheim 2217 on a 5ft tank

Thanks

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 09:06 AM
mix of different filters, most tanks have airoperated sponges, big tanks have aquaclear 500's and an airoperated sponge and a couple of tanks have home made trickle filters.

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:39 PM
Ive been using mainly a mixture of ehiem cannsiters, H.O.B's and a sponge filter is a must in every tank.

Now i am making more racks, ive been designing different types of DIY wet/dry trickles with a sump and centralised filtration. Still have a sponge in every tank.

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
trickle system

Proteus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:22 PM
Canisters, AquaClears, Wet/Dry sumps, internals, sponge filters, you name it, I have it...

(looking at getting a fluidised system ATM)

skoom
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 11:50 PM
I have standard 4' tank and running it with just an AquaOne 1000 and spray bar. Not using any airpumps at the moment because I think they are really noisy.

I was wondering why it is so essential to use a sponge filter? Wouldn't the substrate be sufficient? Or is it more of a mechancial filtration issue? Because I am finding the tank is getting a little cloudy these days.

I have 6 2''-3'' in the 4' tank at the moment.

Thanks.

flukes
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:32 AM
Sponge filters will clean up all those little bits you see floating in the water. They do make a big difference for how much they cost.