PDA

View Full Version : another question on water aging.

krich
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:02 AM
Is it still important to leave the water for a day of more before using it once we use the proper dosage of dechlorinator? How long does it take for this chemical agent to completely remove chlorine/chloramine from the tap water?

Not sure whether 5-15 mins will do the job right)

Thankzzzz

flaggy
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:22 AM
My understanding that the chemical reactions happen "instantly" to remove the chlorine/chloramine. How instant is instant, I don't know.

I've been treating the water as it is being filled into the bucket used for water changes. The bucket of water is then transfered into the tank, so there is not a lot of time between treatment and introduction to the tank.

Some people even dose the tank with the right amount of dechlorinator based on tank voume, and then add tap water (presumably of similar temperature) to the tank, although I don't think this is recommended practice.

Although I've been doing this without any problems, it would be good to hear other people's experience tho. Hopefully, I have not been doing anything wrong!

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:31 AM
It will take about 1 hour for clorine remover to activate and do its job.

DIY
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:51 AM
For the last 12 months I've heated & aerated my water in a 220l food grade barrell for at least 24 hours before using and I don't dechlorinate. I have and still do regularly check with my water supply company what is being put into the water though.

I do this because I prefer to avoid adding chemicals and chlorine will naturally gas-off when left standing. Aeration accelerates the gassing-off.

If your water supply uses chloramine (mine doesn't they just use chlorine) or if in doubt then you MUST dechlor, in any case it's safer to.

My LFS adds dechlor straight into the tank and then tops up from the tap, but I'm sure allowing an hour to work and settle things down as DR.V suggested would be wiser :wink:

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:22 AM
When doing water change, put the chlorine-remover first into the tank then add tap water. Not the other way around.

Otherwise, ageing would be safer for 24-48 hours.

Good luck.

FishLover
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:06 PM
I dechlor my water in a 45 gallon container for about 15 minutes, add Discus Buffer to adjust the pH, then add it to the tank. No problem so far. I'v been doing this for few months now. I change about 30% water of my tank weekly.