PDA

View Full Version : MelaFix???

bnii
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:24 AM
Is this stuff suppost to smell like Vics Vapor rub?

flaggy
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:51 AM
I take it you have just used Melafix for the first time and wondering if it's supposed to smell like that.

Well, it consists of Tea Tree Oil, hence the smell, and btw, your fish are turning new age. I suppose Tea Tree Oil does smell like Vicks. Some people like the smell, some don't! Do you?

bnii
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:10 AM
I do like the smell, but I didn't want to put in my tank if it was someones cold remedy contraption. Someone gave it to me when I bought thier tank last night, and I wanted to try it on my Severums. They are mating and one is getting tore up.

flaggy
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:43 AM
Tea tree oil is indeed used by humans for a number of ailments! The Melafix should be good for healing and regeneration of injuries.

For more serious infections, people have varying opinions. For me, it doesn't seem to do the fish or biological filter any harm.

nicholas76
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 04:30 AM
id love it if people posted there thoughts on melafix.

smells nice, not sure what good it does that regular w/c dosent do anyway

bnii
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 04:34 AM
I added it to the tank only because I had some from purchasing the tank. One of the Severums has a scale hanging off. The two have been pretty rough lately since I think they are breeding. I do 50% water changes twice a week. That should be enough. Should I seperate the 2? Or let them do their thing?

nicholas76
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:31 AM
yeah true its a nice prevention for fungas / infection

Nathan
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:27 AM
ive used it on my discus pair as they had a bit of fin damage after being shipped, i dont think it did that much, but i guess it kinda puts your mind at ease knowing your doing something.

but ive recently discovered black water extract, ITS THE BEST.

there so much more active an scrapes are almost healed after a week or using it

nicholas76
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:31 AM
what healing properties does black water extract have?

ive always assumed its just a ph buffer of sorts :?:

samir
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
it gets the ph down when used by the bucket load. so i guess its the low ph keeping the fish healthy ??? i guess a piece of driftwood would do the same ?
ah back to topic Melafix, tried it on betta sp works great, on discus I can't tell the diff.

flaggy
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:59 AM
Melafix has been good for me for recovery from fin-rot and some healing from tussels with other fish. Perhaps water changes would have done the same in due course.

Apparently a mixture of Pimafix and Melafix is good for other things. Have not had any conclusive results.

Some Blackwater extracts (eg from Tetra) claim to also add trace elements and vitamins. The peat I use in my filter also claims to provide trace elements. So perhaps all this helps in the fishes' recovery? At least, it can't be bad for them!

Nathan
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:17 AM
it has amino (cant spell) acids in it an other properties which encourage healing, aparently its really good for discus an angels, an mainly fish from the amazon, its a peat extract.

so next time instead of buying ill be just using some boiled water with peat in it, but im still glad i got it.

next time if your discus have any damage or external cuts give black water extract a go, it also reduces bacteria in the water (im gussn by lowering the ph) which also helps healing an prevents infection.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 05:40 AM
Nicholas,

Melafix..... It smells nice!
MAC

Peaches
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:47 PM
I used it with my Beta when he had fin rot as a result of Ick. His fins are beatiful and it really did help I think. If you use too much it'll cloud your water though so be careful.

MelaFix is derived from the Melaluca Tea Tree...good stuff. They put in in all sorts of things. I like it a lot.

Squid
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
Melafix is perfectly harmless and works quite well (unpublished results of Honours degree at Uni of Tas). Very good as a profalactive against bad bugs and smells like tee tree oil. Will cause excessive foaming in some filters though. Anyway, some clown up here read this thread and went to the LFS/pet shop. Asked for some 'Mala-something' to kill bugs. Didn't mention for his fish

Now for those who aren't familiar with tick/sheep dip - that's 'malawash' in the petting industry. That's what this guy got and added it to his fish tank to 'kill the bugs'. Killed the fish in about 10 secs as its a neuro path inhibitor (like cyanide). Quite annoyed was this person, but the LFS/petshop helped him out and gave him some new fish. Be aware of the 'Mala-products ' out there and dont treat your fish for flees by accident.

Squid

Peaches
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:43 PM
wow...

flaggy
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 12:16 PM
BTW, I was reading some old thread in the Australian Tropical Fish Forums on how to make the equivalent of Melafix from Tea Tree Oil products sold in supermarkets and chemists.

For $14 (plus or minus) you can buy 50ml of 100% pure Tea Tree Oil (eg Thursday Plantation brand) which, by adding to water, will give 5 litres of Melafix equivalent!

See this thread: http://www.e-mailme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1115&start=0&sid=7f28922b052c5635055facca1bd4d5e2

Nathan
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 12:58 PM
ive seen home made recipes of the stuff aswel.

i wouldnt bother risking saving a few bucks when using this with discus!

Bill T
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:30 PM
If anyone wants some Melafix, I have a large bottle of it.

Don't think it does anything for discus & may even have a down side. I think it may effect their slime coating, so I would seek other remedies.

Q: Would melafix work in a steam inhalation for clearing the sinusses?

Bad Inferno
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
I tried melafix without much success for fin rot on some juvi discus...

I am told if you buy the pond version of Melafix its 5 x more potent and the same stuff..

nicholas76
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
Nicholas,

Melafix..... It smells nice!
MAC

LOL ... yeah I keep it next to my snake oil on the shelf

Peaches
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 05:37 AM
I wouldn't use the Pond equivalent in a tank though, it doesn't evaporate the same way.

I think it probably does better in smaller areas b/c you'd have to use a ton of it in a large enough tank for discus. BUT your house would smell nice 8-)

elvip
Wed Nov 01, 2006, 02:06 AM
Melafix....
Personally I think it's useless!! Have tried it before without any results.
I believe in using hard core meds - no messing around - maybe that's my pharmacy background!!! :shock:
Elvip