PDA

View Full Version : Filtration for a 6 foot tank

DiscusEden
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 09:17 AM
Hi,
I'd really like some advice please? I'm buying a 6 foot (540L) Aquaone tank, with the filter in the hood.

I'm hoping to get:
8 discus - that will not be moved to another tank except to breed (hopefully), then returned
20-30 cardinals
4-6 blue rams
4-6 bolivian rams (10 rams total)
1 or 2 Whiptail catfish
bristlenose/other catfish (?how many)

With this load - I'll do a post under tankmates to check the species and loading - do I need extra filtration?

If so, in the Eheim range of external canisters, which one would I need? Would I need one with heating built in? I'm thinking about a canister to get the UV on it eventually - would the canister be a necessity from the start, or a luxury to add later?

Does putting a new canister/filter make the tank cycle or do a partial cycle if the filtration in the hood has already cycled?

The tank will be planted, I'm thinking sand & fertiliser substrate, and CO2 system - I'll start another thread for that too. And I'm thinking water changes for small ones 2-3x/week, 1-2 if they're full size - but they might be changes on consecutive days, 'cos that's when I'm off work - will that be OK?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks so much for your help,
DiscusEden

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 10:12 AM
IMO Aquaone filtration is not enough. Eheim classic 2217 would be enough as addition filter.

Get a separate heater, dont get a built-in one. Why ? Because if you get the built-in one, and the heater broken, it will cost you a lot to fix.

Putting a UV always good for your fish and water.

If the hood filtration is already cycled and running for some time, later on you can just add another cannister with fish in the tank already, no problem.

Once a week water change is necessary. Twice a week would be better.

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 10:13 AM
IMO Aquaone filtration is not enough considering the filter size as well as your fish in the tank. Eheim classic 2217 would be enough as addition filter.

Get a separate heater, dont get a built-in one. Why ? Because if you get the built-in one, and the heater broken, it will cost you a lot to fix.

Putting a UV always good for your fish and water.

If the hood filtration is already cycled and running for some time, later on you can just add another cannister with fish in the tank already, no problem.

Once a week water change is necessary. Twice a week would be better.

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 10:14 AM
Ooppss wanted to edit the post. Admin please delete.

DiscusEden
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks Dr V. Much appreciated.

Is the external heating just a better option than internal, or is it necessary?

Is there a UV that you would recommend with the Eheim classic 2217?

Is there a difference between a standard UV and a UV steriliser?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm just starting out with this type of setup & want to try to make as few mistakes as possible. So thanks again for your help and patience!
DiscusEden

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 02:49 PM
You're going to keep tropical fish, so a heater would be needed. I would suggest get a good one! This is very important as cheap heater wont work properly in the long term.

External heating would be cheaper if say you need to replace them.

UV -> go for Pondmaster. I think this is one of the best UV in the market also easy to find replacement globe.

I dont think theres a different between a standard UV and a UV steriliser.

If you got more questions, ASK ! Dont be shy :P

SandyLynne
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
Hi Dr V

I have just been looking at your suggestion of a Pondmaster UV and wondering which size is required? Is the small one enough or the bigger the better?

I want to get one for my 420L tank.

Pondmaster UV-C 9w = 9 Watt Clarifier suitable for small systems up to 5000L

Does this mean for a 5000L tank?

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 11:24 PM
IMO the bigger is the better, but not too much over.

11W would do best for 420L tank.

HTH

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hi Dr V, thanks again for your help!

I was thinking of getting 2x 300watt Eheim Jager heaters to put in the tank - so that if one failed, the other could keep my preciouses alive until I could replace the faulty heater. I don't know, though, if the water cools enough going through the cannister filter that it would need to be heated on the way back to the tank as well? Or is an inline filter better than in tank? If so, what would the safety net be if the inline heater fails? If I stick with the idea of the Jagers, is this the correct size?

Would the Eheim classic 2217 be better for this setup than the Professional II? Or is that overkill? If not, which model for this size tank?

With the pondmaster UV, which wattage would be best for this size tank (540L)?

Thanks again, your help is really appreciated!

DiscusEden

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:00 AM
Eheim Jager is really good IMO.

You put the heater inside the tank. Or you can also get a external heater. Something like Hydor ETH 300w, check this out : http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category7_1.htm#474

It's your choice to get the classic version or the professional ones. Although I can suggest that the professional version got more features for easier use.

UV -> 11W would also do good.

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:03 AM
Inline filter would have the advantage of tidyness in a planted tank. So there will be less visible accessories in the tank.

2X 300W is the correct size.

Good luck.

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks for that!

Plans are coming together now!

If I went the Eheim Professional II, would the 2028 be the right size?

DiscusEden

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:54 AM
Professional II 2028 would be perfect.

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:06 AM
Excellent.

It just occurred to me - if the 2x heaters and UV are all on the hose line from the cannister back into the tank, would there be enough room for them all? Looking at your link, they have to sit vertically, so I can't just add more hose in. I gather the UV has to be on the hose back to the tank so as not to disturb the media. Could one of the heaters be on the hose into the cannister, or would it not take going in upside down? Is it directional? Would the water cool too much in the cannister, defeating the purpose?

If the heaters are in the line to the filter, and the filter intake is at one end and the output at the other to get a rollover, would this create cool spots or a warm end & a cool end of the tank?

Bet you're sorry you said to ask questions now! Thanks for being so patient.

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:28 AM
LOL Im a bit confused now.

So are you planning to have an external heater ?

Ugh I never heard of people using 2 external heater. But if you want to, you can just have a longer hose on the outlet.

Does that answer your question ? Or I confuse you more ? Hehe

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
LOL! You're not the only one that's confused!

When you said 2x 300w I thought you meant the inline (external) heaters - 2 of them at 300watts each? Or is there one that would do the job by itself?

Thanks!

Robdog
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:09 AM
Personally I think the hood top filter would be sufficient as long as you slowly increased the fish load as you probably know already. I have a 4ft Aquaone that was running just the hood filter and I had nearly 50 fish in there. Just add some extra ceramic noodles in each of the compartments and it should be fine.
Having said that, adding the canister filter would be a good addition. I've added one to mine and it works a treat.

As for the heaters, you should have 2x300w and I'd put them at each end of the tank so there is an even temp at both ends. The inline option sounds like too much trouble if you will have a UV running aswell. The canister wouldn't change the temp much if any.
HTH

DiscusEden
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:24 AM
Thanks Robdog,

That's great. I was starting to get a headache around how to put it all together.

I've seen the APW site has the cannister on special, so I might get that before the tank! (Something about a cart and a horse.)

Thanks again!

Robdog
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah the CF2400 is a bargain at the moment

DiscusEden
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:49 AM
Given that the LFS quoted me $1000 - and I think that was for the classic! So happy to have found this site and APW. Nearly fell off the chair when I saw the price.

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 03:45 AM
LOL! You're not the only one that's confused!

When you said 2x 300w I thought you meant the inline (external) heaters - 2 of them at 300watts each? Or is there one that would do the job by itself?

Thanks!

I was thinking 2X300W internal heater lol.

I think theres 400W Jager, you can just use one of this.

DiscusEden
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks!

I think I'll stick with the 2x300W, for peace of mind in case one breaks down, and just put up with the extra equipment in the tank for now. If I decide to change later, I can always put in the 4oow Jager.

Thanks again for all of your help. You guys are fantastic!

DiscusEden

Robdog
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:52 AM
How's the tank shaping up DiscusEden???

DiscusEden
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the interest Robdog.

In my head it's a thing of beauty. I'm still paying it off. It'll be a few weeks yet. But I ordered the Eheim 2028 on Saturday from APW - very exciting! So if I ever get it home it'll be clean.

Don't worry, if I ever get the thing delivered, you guys will hear of nothing but. There'll be pictures - so many pictures....

I'm thinking about a trip to Sydney in the next month or 2 & thought I might call in to SLS to drool. And dream.

Thanks again,
DiscusEden

Robdog
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 02:57 AM
Just don't drool on your credit card as you hand it over. It makes them harder to swipe thru the machines!