PDA

View Full Version : Globes

chris
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 11:43 PM
Whats the rule of thumb for Aquarium globes, how long do the last if used with plants. Is power glo the best for plants. Im running a 5 foot tank with single globes 3 foot and a 2 foot reflector.

DIY
Sat Sep 16, 2006, 12:40 AM
I'm no expert, but I've read a lot of articles & forums. I have been running a 6 foot planted tank for 12 months now so I'll try to answer, others may give you better adivcse.

flouro tubes start to reduce in light output from day one, the generally accepted rule is to change them between 6 & 12 months. I remember reading that by 12 months the output can be as little as 1/2 a new tube.

In terms of "best" tube - it's the one that works best with your setup to makes the light grow :lol: . I have been running standard off the shelf "daylight" (6500k) tubes. The difference is if you buy daylight tubes from an electrical outlet like J.R.Turk (I think they are in adelaide) or Middy's a 4 foot tube is only around $4. Just make sure you ask for 6500k or at least 5600k (both are considered daylight).

If I understand your post you have 2 tubes for a 5 foot tank? This doesn't sound like much. Do a search for watts per gallon to get a rough idea on how many lights you need. as an example my 6 oot (6x2x2) has 2x4ft, 2x3ft and 2x2ft and my plants grow really well.

picture attached to show the plants.

flaggy
Sat Sep 16, 2006, 05:51 AM
hi chris

i was doing some research on this topic myself...

have a look at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=287&aid=414

they have some recommendations on "watts per gallon" for fish-only and planted freshwater and salt water aquariums, as well as the comparisons between different types of lighting including "bulb life".

it is also important to get the right mix of light spectrum indicated by the Kelvin rating... see some guidelines here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=0&siteid=6&acatid=287&aid=940

FishLover
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:05 PM
I have two blue tubes and two normal ones for my 6 footer. The blue tubles really bring out the color of my Discus. Plus, it has the cool effect on the tank. I really feel it looks much 'cooler' than all regular tubes.