PDA

View Full Version : Neon tetras

clineb
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hey guys.

Newbie here...got my 55g tank and discus a few months ago. I house 4 discus, a ram (doesn't bother anybody), and two cory catfish. These discus have made the end of my work days enjoyable--as they now eagerly greet me when i come home wondering what their evening meal will be (bloodworms, beefheart or b.shrimp). Anyhow...

My roomate bought and brought home a small school of 5 neon tetras yesterday. I told him that he should really consult me before buying anything for the tank (but in his defense, i don't think he realized how picky I am about my discus environment). In the end, I thought adding them would be harmless...anyhow, my pigeon blood and brilliant turquoise discus gave chase, and eventually did a quick job of killing them. Two of the remaining neons are unaccounted for--so I assume they were just flat-out eaten.

Should I be worried these little guys were (possibly) factored into my discus' diet?

Thanks!

nicholas76
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:37 PM
Gday!

when it comes to neons mate they truly are the chocolate snack of the amazon.

Even the most passive Discus become tempted at times. Its usually at night when the Discus go on the prowl and snap up a slow moving / sleeping neon.

If you do intend on using tetras of this sort I would recommend you buy larger ones and see how that goes.

In my personal experience ive had Discus that were not interested whilts others were savages!

Ps when you have the time post some pictures in the photo section.