PDA

View Full Version : discus's getting darker when in stress?

krich
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
Am not sure but from my observation some of them swiftly change the color to a much darker when the someone makes a swift movement near the tank or turning on the light when thay're in the dark.

Is that a bad sign to their health after all?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
Discus do have the ability to darken at will.

They darken when they are spawning and when they want to attract their fry. They can also darken at times of stress and illness.

If it is only happening occasionally then it's nothing to worry about, but let us know if it's happening more often.

Nathan
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 09:23 AM
hey buddy welcome to the forum.

each strain is different, pigeon bloods dont go darker they get a thing called peppering (which isnt a desired thing, but also permanant in most cases)

going dark is often caused by stressed but can also happen from a lot of other things, ive found that my snakeskin each time for a few days after hes spawned he remains really really quite dark, even though he is in perfect health.

sudden movements will make them a bit stressed especially if they are new to the tank, they will get used to these soughts of things though.

anyway hope this helps out a bit

krich
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 10:55 AM
Think they all still not get comfortable with their new tank just yet. Nothing much to be serious I guess.

Really appreciated that my question always get a very quick response from some of you here)

DR.V
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
Normally it would take a week for discus to adapt to new environment and showing their full color

nicholas76
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
Say Krich what strain are your fish ? or what colour are they if your not sure ?

Be sure to post a picture once they settle down for us to see :D