PDA

View Full Version : what is the minimum tank-size for keeping discus?

krich
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 10:27 AM
I'm about to move in to my new apartment in soon and now thinking of the size of the that can fit well in to my space of 60sqms. Since i don't want the tank to take too much of my new limitted space so I'm asking for the minimum to make the fishes feel happy in small school (may be some where around 6-7 discuses plus some other tankmates)

Anyone who are in the same condition?
Happy to get all the opinions (yet again)

Thanksssssssa lott

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
For 6-7 ADULT discus you need a minimum of a 60gal .. i recommend you buy a nice 75gal tank which would then alow you to add a school of tetras or something similar without risk of overcrowding .... :)

Im not sure what the floor space of the tank would be, but you need 10gal of water per ADULT discus, and you can't crowd juveniles either as they could have their growth stunted ... :wink:

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
There a lot of very nice corner tanks on the market. I have one that fits very neatly into the corner, yet holds 350 lts which would allow you to comfortably keep 6 or 7 large discus and a school of tetras.

aquartos
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 02:31 PM
Wow!
Nice tank Merrilyn. I love that plant on the left!

Mulisha
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
That's a Diplis Diandra 8-) the plants turns into a pine forest in no time hehe 8-)

nicholas76
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
The real question is... What's the biggest tank your room can fit ? :lol:

shawn barker
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 03:06 PM
and what is the biggest tank your bank balance can mantain!