PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Water parameters

DiscusMania
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 07:32 AM
Hi guys ~ I am new to this forum and i am very impressed by the amount and depth of informations that i can actually find here.

However , i have a weak backgroud knowledge of what is the ideal water parameters for a planted tank.

What is the meaning of soft or hard water?
What is carbonate hardness?
What should be added to the planted tank to make sure the plant is doing well other than iron?

Thanks alot.

Nathan
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 07:37 AM
g day mate welcome to the forum!

the ideal water params are, well this is what amano usually sticks to is, slightly acidic water
ph 6.8
temp 25
no ammonia or nitrite
nitrate around 10-20 ppm

What is the meaning of soft or hard water?

this is your gh, general hardness. it means the ammount of minerals found in your water.

What is carbonate hardness?

carbonate hardness is your kh, the lower this is the less stable your ph is, an you will probly get a ph crash.

What should be added to the planted tank to make sure the plant is doing well other than iron?

you need a good substrate (gravel/medium that your plants will grow in) there are tons an tons out there, some better then others. Youl need a light, again there are lots of different ones out there, optional but ideal a co2 system, however as your starting out i wouldnt bother with a co2 system as it is a little confusing.

hope this helps a bit, if your still unsure keep asking an others will help out!:D