PDA

View Full Version : Dam Water.

Mulisha
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have dam water and want to use it for discus.
Do all i need is a micro filter and a crabon block?

Specs of dam:

PH:6.5
KH:2
GH:2 maybe 3
Nitrate:0

Should i be testing for anything else?

How do i make sure all bits of alage etc get filters out?

I'm going to be getting the filter through this guy..

I'll be looking at getting the twin carvan one if that's suitable thanks to Dee :wink: :wink:

http://www.psifilters.com.au/Caravan%20Water%20Filters.htm

Still not sure what cartiages is needed etc... i'll be giving Peter a ring today though

http://www.psifilters.com.au/Filter%20Cartridge%20Directory.htm

Thanks guys

Rick. 8-)

RJ_Archer
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 09:17 PM
maybe a uv steriliser to kill any extra algae?

*Chris*
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
very hard to get you to make a desicion dude :lol:
UV sterilizer at 36 watt should kill most nastys that fly through it including algae spores protozoa , hydra and alll the pond nastys
cheers
EXAI

Dee
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hello Rick,

I would definatly invest in a UV if your using dam water mate, I hear the pondmasters are great value for money, APW has the best prices I have seen online.

Have a chat to Peter at PSI, he will put you in the right direction for your needs in regard to Carbon blocks and what Micron sediment filter to use etc. Keep in mind, that for the carbon block to be most efficient a low flow rate is needed. The highest flow rate i found for a carbon block was 10L per minute. Although in saying that the lower the flow rate the more easily the carbon block will remove (absorb) the nasties ... if that makes sense ? The only down side to the 2 stage filters is that they tend to chew through carbon blocks. Because I have a low content of chlorine in my tap water, the carbon block would "gunk up" and greatly reduce flow rate after a while.

Anyway best of luck with it mate.

Cheers,

Dee :)

Mulisha
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:55 AM
Cheers guys i rang Peter today he was on a call and will ring me tommrow afternoon.
I was speaking with some girl there and she was telling me that he used to breed discus etc.. and she also said that they have filters with a uv on them for dam water etc...

So i'll speak to him tommorow and sort something out.. 8-) 8-)

By the way to test the water to see if it's ok to put discus in could i put a 1 or 2 rummynose in there or after it goes through the filter it should be ok LOL..

I think i'm getting to worried lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mulisha
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 06:35 AM
Well spoke to peter and he said to buy a rummy nose or a bristlenose to put in a tank and fill it up with dam water see if they survive or not.

He said that a silatek Carbon block and a miron filter will be fine but he suggested i use a UV as well but then it will start to get to expensive for me i think... :? :?

Do you guys think a uv will be needed or will a carbon block do a pretty good job.

Cheers 8-)

goldenpigeon
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 07:42 AM
why not just get the kaboodle and be done with it? basically 'you get out what you put in'.

save the money and then spend it on the uv, carbon block and all the rest and just have good water.

its plain and simple mate.

cheers
David

Mulisha
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah true mate that's what i'm going to do..

Now my next question is go with UV from the Peter? It's 6W
http://www.psifilters.com.au/UV%20STERILISERS.htm

Or do i buy a 9W Internal UV and place it in my aging barrel the barrel is 180L approx so the 9W should be ok i think.

Am i getting the same effect from adding a internal UV into my drum as to having one inline?

Cheers.

goldenpigeon
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:07 AM
why not get a more powerful 36W uv (inline type) and just sterilise the water as it comes into the barrel rather than putting the impurities in the barrel then hoping they go thru the sterilizer? i would go for a large wattage and inline mate.

cheers
David