PDA

View Full Version : How many discus can I keep?

krich
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:03 AM
This is the first time I'm learning to keep this magnificent guy and now I'm doing my experiment whether I have the capacity to keep them since I'd heard that this fish is not for beginner at all. However I got some background on fish keeping when I was young but stop doing this hobby for long while.

Am now having 4 of them(for experiment though) at the size around 3.5" each in my 20 gallon tank for 1 week now. They now still alive and started to accept my pellet food now(Tetrabit). However, they're still very sensitive to the environment change( i.e. moving object/ people walk passed the tank, swift change in lighting, etc.) Afterall, they're all panick-proned. Am not sure whether 4 fishes are too small and make them easily feel insecured. Now thinking to add a couple to my tank to create a bit more crowded and hope they can do better with that change. Aware about formulation of 1 adult fish per 10 gallon of water. My 20 gallon tank can't be good in the long run so I planned to move all to the new tank (80 gallons) in a month or so.

My question is: can I keep my current tank a bit overcrowded for temporary without disturbing their growth rate? And is this better than only keep 4 of them now and add some more when I move to the new tank.

Thank you!

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:23 AM
Please try to avoid adding any more discus to your current tank ...

It may affect the growth rate of your discus now (Just by having four 3" discus in a 20gal) so don't add anymore unless you have too! ..

They will take a while to settle in so expect them to be spooked easily for a while ...

Try to get them in the 80gal ASAP ! :wink:

HTH