PDA

View Full Version : Type of heater ?????

paulsa67
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 10:26 PM
Ive just bought a new 4ft 18 inc high and wide tank.
What wattage should I be looking at for this tank..

Thanks

Ben
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 11:40 PM
I am not sure what state you are in but QLD get a 250 watter and VIC get a 300 watter.

sharkbaitnemo
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 02:34 AM
general rule is 1Watt per litre
personally I prefer to go a litlte less so a 200Watt heater should be fine with good water movement.
too small a heater is not good because it won't heat the water enough but too big a heater is no good because you get too big a temp swing

Phlipper
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry sharkbait, totaly disagree, it's always better to go bigger and I woiould recommend a 300 watt, a 200 may do but it will be working harder and longevity of the unit may be comprimised. The higher wattage wont give you a temperature swing, but all it means is it will heat the water up to the desire temp quicker.

In a Discus tank bigger is definitely better owing to the high temp needed to maintain these fish, you may find a 200 watt or less will be running flat out trying to maintain the high temp. Often it is the case that a smaller heater that operates in the on position for longer tend to get too hot and the thermostat contact points end up fusing together in the permanent "ON" position and may actually cook your fish, this is common in cheaper brand heaters.