PDA

View Full Version : My newly planted AR850

Namn8r
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:49 PM
Running the 3 standard tubes, no C02, seachem, flourish & iron and redsea daily trace + dino dung for substrate fert.

when first planted

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00027.jpg

Namn8r
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:58 PM
This is the tank a month later.

Still using same ferts. Lost the telanthra when i tried to move it and got hold of some tonina. Have reduced the Gh to below 100ppm via softning resin and ph at about 6.5. Unfortunately will be moving house in a month so will have to totally strip the tank..what a nightmare then hopefully i will have an RO unit!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00224.jpg

Namn8r
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 01:03 PM
Please excuse the bag had to save a few borellii fry. Everything is growing well, macranda has shot up and needs to be pruned and replanted. Only trouble Im having is with the Contortionist val?? Keeps dying back slowly and isnt replacing new leaves to keep up. Plenty of new runners though. Any thoughts?

Nathan
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
looks good buddy, u should be pleased with your effort!!

Simone
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 02:58 AM
here here!! That tank looks great!! Good job!!! :)

Phlipper
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
Excellent result, just goes to show you dont need to spend big bucks for great results, a tank to be proud of :P

One of my house tanks is also a AR 850, and it works well, I have also had difficulty getting Telanthra to flourish well, it survives but not vigorously, Telanthra like most red leafed plants require much stronger lighting than the standard tank offers. Curious as to whether the Queensland Lace { I think that's right ?} does well or not, they are dam expensive to buy so I have not been game to try one, how long have you had it growing. And please tell me what that plant is in the picture just below where the small Ram is swimming 8-)

As far as you suffereing Vallis goes, not sure what the answer is there, but it may be the type of fertiliser, I have been told that Vallis does not like the Seachem Flourish brand, but dont know how much truth is in that statement.

Ben
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
Very nice set up Nam!

Its a shame you will have to strip it all down when you move as it looks lovely at the moment.

Keep us updated

Ben

Namn8r
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 01:01 PM
Its a madagascar lace phlipper and ive had for about one month now. It has only put up one leaf so far rather slow growing at the moment. The other plant you asked about is called tonina very rare I get it from a guy in victoria he only sometimes has it available. It requires very soft acidic water. This is my third time trying to grow this as i havent got access to rainwater or RO water at present. I used some water softning resin to bring the gh down below 100ppm hopefully it survives next time or i will have to wait till i get a RO unit!

Phlipper
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
Thanx for that, impressive plant the tonina, but I think beyond my budget :(

spudly
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
Many species of Val prefer medium hard water so that may be the problem.

Cheers
Rob

kevkoi
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:23 AM
lets see how the tonina go in the next month. Not an easy plant to grow and especially not going to be easy when u have so many other fast growing plants that will out-compete it for nutrients.

Tonina btw, require quite cool water temps to thrive. Have seen whole tanks of nothing by tonina and hairgrass pearling at temps around the 24degrees C mark.

Namn8r
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:51 AM
AH HA!! thanks for the tip kev...thats probably another contributing factor why it I have never suceeded. Ive had it in my discus tank and my tank is at 30c at the moment in prep for the Altums but they alas they arent available no more!

Nathan
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:53 AM
yea not many plants like temps that high.