PDA

View Full Version : WTB Discus in Sydney 4-5inches

Del
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
Wanting a Yellow Melon, White Diamond, Blue Diamond (open to suggestions) for pickup in Sydney...

Thanks!

DEL

G-1000
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
I have a blue diamond and a white swan but the white swan is over 6 inches and the blue diamond is a smidge over 5.

Why not get some little buggers and grow em ?

G

Fish Rock Aquariums
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
Wanting a Yellow Melon, White Diamond, Blue Diamond (open to suggestions) for pickup in Sydney...

Thanks!

DEL

Hi Del,

marlboro 10-12cm $115
blue diamond 10-12cm $95

cheers,
Ron

Del
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 06:11 AM
Why not get some little buggers and grow em
Two of my discus are going to be put in their own breeding tank and that just leaves my white swan on its own. It is about 6 inches and can be a bit of a bully.

I was worried that if I add smaller discus to the tank, they will get chased all over the place and then get stressed.

I think that is why I have lost my other two smaller discus recently.

Am I wrong?

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
No i would not put any discus smaller then 4" in a tank with a 6" discus ... :P

FRA, stunning fish mate! :)

samir
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:52 AM
why not buy G's white swan if its a diff sex ?

G-1000
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 10:43 AM
coz G isnt planning to sell his yet

lol

not until they breed

G

Del
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:25 PM
Here is mine - male or female...?

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
Del, doesnt look anything like a white swan to me mate ... :? But its does have a very interesting colour!

You can not tell the sex of a discus through a photo unless breeding tubes are lowered :wink:

samir
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 02:17 PM
maybe kind of ghost ????? i'd guess male.

Del
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 09:43 PM
:oops: I bought it from a discus member... under the assumption it was a white swan - with a pink tinge :lol: - well what do you know!

Besides being a bit of a bully, it is really a lovely natured discus...

So what should I get to put with it...now that it is going to be all alone?

G-1000
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 06:54 AM
Definately a ghost-derivative.

That pic will do nothing for any hopes of sexing it though.

Take a pic of it's vent/tubes and I will tell you

G

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:21 AM
G - I am still waiting to take a picture of the breeding tubes but I can't seem to get one.

Could its colour be due to the fact that it LOVES colourbits? At the moment it is not eating bloodworm or Fish-dinner just colourbits morning, noon and night (if I let it).

I don't think it is sick, as it is really social, stalks me if I walk past the tank and is not loosing any weight - just really picky with food...

My water is good (ph 7, temp 28, etc) and my other two are discus eating everything.

Is this common with discus? Will it eat variety ever again or just colourbits? And is that a bad thing?

DEL

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:02 AM
Del,

Something is always better than nothing isnt it?

However, I think that you may struggle to offer a balanced diet with colour bits.

When was the last time you wormed it?

And what are the stats for the tank? Temp, ammonia no2 no3 etc?

Nothing to worry about for the moment but ive got a few suggestions depending on the results you get from ur water...

G

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks G - I will take my water sample to my lfs and post the results.

I did do a "worm rid" (prazi) treatment not long ago and have been meaning to get some "Sykes Pig & Poultry Wormer" to complete my worming regime... do you think that is what it might be?

I really appreciate your help.

DEL

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:32 AM
Del,

My logic on the subject is as follows:

1) For a discus to have a reduced appetite, it signifies one of two things (usually). Either a worm-related infection or a bacterial condition.

For worms - which are more likely you need to be using a prazi-type treatment once every 6 months for prevention. Also, need to be using a levamisole-type treatment once every 6 months as well. This ensures worms are kept to manageable levels.

For bacteria - usually worse symptoms and a correspondingly worse prognosis. You need a broad spectrum antibiotic. However, your fish are not bloated etc (i.e my albino at the moment) so I wouldnt consider this route just yet.

Also, more frequent water changes may stimulate appetite and so may the usage of a feed-enhancer i.e garlic guard by seachem.

But post your results here and we can go from there.

BTW - If you still want some bigger discus, I will have some coming up soon at very good prices.

G

ivo
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:39 AM
hey G-1000, what strains of bigger discus will you have upcoming?

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
Ummmmm

It will be a white swan at around 6 inches

A leopard snakeskin at about 5 inches

A high grade blue diamond also at about 5 inches.

And MAYBE my RGD if it isnt interested in breeding with my albino

G

sie_fish
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
G-100

what are the prices, i may be interested too.

sie_fish
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
G-1000

what are the prices, i may be interested too.

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:20 AM
Also, need to be using a levamisole-type treatment

Would I be correct in saying I need the "Sykes Big L Pig & Poultry Wormer" for this? Or is there anything else that would do it...

My Nitrite reading is 0 and so is my Ammonia.

Nitrate will have to be tested at my LFS tomorrow...

I wouldn't assume that you would want to sell me any of your discus, but if you do, I will try to get my tank and my guys up to scratch...

Thanks for your help... :D

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
Ivo, Sie_fish

When I do go ahead and sell some of the discus I have, they will be going cheaply (provided they are going to good homes)

And Del,

Yes, That Sykes Big L wormer is levamisole - quite correct. If your ammonia and nitrite are 0 then dont worry about the LFS testing the nitrates - waste of time. Just go ahead and make a 50% change or so with aged water if possible.

As for the discus, Del you are trying to get things right - thats what counts. As long as you are learning as you go - then thats the main thing right? Everybody on this forum including myself had to start somewhere you know what I mean?

If you want some discus when I sell them later this year, then thats fine by me.

G

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks G..... :)

I'll do a water change tomorrow and see how they are all doing - ! :)