PDA

View Full Version : liquid prazi + dosing

sharn
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 10:57 AM
hello all :D

after aquiring some larger discus and a larger tank i have decided the time has come to do a prazi dose, one of my large females has been using one gill only and using it very heavily, the operculum opens up 3-4mm :shock: she is acting fine, no scratching or any other signs to indicate flukes but thought it cant hurt. she isnt too upset as she has been laying eggs with a male in my community tank recently but would like to try and get on top of this before it becomes a big problem. water params are fine as this was what i looked at first even though the others showed no sign of being upset in any way.

i have managed to aquire 30ml of liquid prazi, i am going by the dosage my breeder told me to use (5ml per 60L) and have enough for two doses. my tank is roughly 220L. he has advised me to dose and do a water change 48 hours later but add back what i have taken out- only problem is if i do this then i wont have enough to do the second reccomended treatment a week or so later.

is this a sensible way of treating given my circumstances-

*do my usual water change and then dose the tank
*wait 72 (48?) hours then do a 50% water change
*wait another 24/48 hours and do another 50% water change to rid the last of the prazi from the tank
*wait a week or so then repeat

if this isnt suitable what would be? i am unable to aquire more of this at the moment so have to try and make do with what i have, its just finding the method that will be effective with my limited means :lol:

i have been reading all over the net about treating and there are so many methods and dose rates. it seems your average dose uses more than i have available :( any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks to all in advance :)

Mulisha
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 07:33 AM
My adult discus had fluke s bad and i'm still trying to get rid of them i used Fluke and tapeworm tabs at normal rate then used 10% over and then tried pure prazi and they still had the flukes currently i'm using Trichforon and i hope to god this kills them.

I find those fluke and tapeworms tabs a complete waste of time and money

IMHO

Goodluck :lol:

samir
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 07:46 AM
keep an eye on them when using Trichforon

sharn
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 09:37 AM
getting liquid prazi here really is a novelty considering it costs 400 bucks for a one litre bottle :shock: the breeder i buy off kindly gave me and two friends some for usage but i only managed to get 30ml. most people defluke their fish with cat wormers which contain a small amount of prazi but have other nasties in it too :?

i have decided after consulting my breeder to do it this way-
*50% water change and dose
*wait 5 days feeding only once a day as to not pollute the water
*50% water change on 5
*50% water change on day 6
*i will do a 30% w/c on day 8 (just cause i can)
*50% water change and redose on day 10

does this sound ok?

Bill T.
Sun Sep 10, 2006, 11:45 PM
I found a prolonged period at fairly low pH plus medication eventually fixed a persistant fluke problem.
Also, breathing from one gill could be due to other causes (eg. damaged gill from infection), so a proper diagnosis is advisable.

Mulisha
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:45 AM
So a low ph like 5.5 would kill anlot of diseases like flukes?
I had my discus on about 7.2 ph and now i have them in 5.5 after moving them from a planted tank to a BB. I hope ur right flukes are very hard to get rid of these days.. :lol:

Nathan
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 01:22 AM
So a low ph like 5.5 would kill anlot of diseases like flukes?
I had my discus on about 7.2 ph and now i have them in 5.5 after moving them from a planted tank to a BB. I hope ur right flukes are very hard to get rid of these days..

id be very careful of moving discus from such a high ph to a low one so suddenly, be careful with that!

ive had discus with flukes one or twice, an the best medication ive used for flukes was sterazin, i swear by it. after the 10 day course they were 100% better. id definitely have a look for it at your LFS its got a pic of 2 clown loaches on the front.

anyway hope your fish get better soon Sharn an mulisha!

Mulisha
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
Cheers Nathan i haven't tried Sterzian i do have it though because i thought it might not be stronger enough to use..

I have used Fluke and tapeworm tabs and then pure prazi and now trying Trichlorofon so far so good there still breathing out both gills there both still scared a bit but i think that's a side effect..

You wouldn't know what Sterzian had in it would you nathan? :lol:

Cheers guys.. these flukes these days are really hard to combat.. :twisted: