PDA

View Full Version : Are plain ceramic rings bio media

nando19
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:32 AM
Hi sorry if this is a dumb question but my Jebo tank that I have in the filter there is wool on top and then ceramic rings underneath some places say that it is pre filter media other places say that it is bio media can somebody please clear this up for me oh and the jebo tank is the R750

Nathan
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:37 AM
ceramic rings ARE bio media

Phlipper
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:07 PM
Yep, one and the same, just different terminology.

nando19
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:13 PM
so it doesn't matter if i wash out my wool that is on top when it gets dirty?

Nathan
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:29 PM
when i had a jebo i washed the filter pads out once a month, but make sure you wash it in tank water, as the filter wool still has a great number of bennificial bacteria living in it.

Phlipper
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yep, you must wash out the wool when it's get's dirty or the filtering effect will be comprimised. But when you wash out the wool, or pad, do so in de-chlorinated water or some of the tank water, or you may risk killing off too much nitrifying bacteria contained within the wool pads and ceramic rings. If you find that difficult then wash out the wool in tap water, and before placing it back into the filter compartment rinse it well again in tank water or de-chlorinated, this is just to make extra sure none of the bacteria in the rings is destroyed.

nando19
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:35 PM
:oops: I done it under the tap water last night hmm I hope I didnt kill any of my bacteria the nitrite had just dropped right away yesterday :cry:

Phlipper
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:40 PM
It should be Ok, my suggestion is just an extra safeguard, but there should be plenty of good bacteria in the ceranic rings as well as the tank itself anyway, so dont worry too much about it, all will be fine 8-)