PDA

View Full Version : erythromycin

ashley
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone

Has anyone had experience with erythromycin as a cure for cyanobacteria?

It appears that this is the only way Im going to get rid of this stuff.

I believe that this is an antibiotic, so does this mean I can only get it from a vet.

I would like to hear from someone that has used it before with success.

Cheers Ashley.

*Chris*
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
erythromycin is used in humans so yeah id say go to the vet i think it is a penicillian product so be careful wih it if you are allergic to it
EXAI

sharn
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 11:29 AM
i know about 10 people personally that have used it with very good success, i dont know much about its effects on fish/bio filters etc though

Cuong
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
From your previous thread about it, http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71930&highlight=#71930
it seems that none of the fish are being effected? If that's the case, you're going to have to persuade the vet a little more since none of the fish are sick. What have you tried to remove it? IMHO I'd try a few more non-medication measures before using any drugs.

ashley
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replys,
Have tried to block out the light for 2 days which did stunt its growth to the point that it had basicly disappeard.
But I have heard that it can be laying in the substrate and is not efected by this method, and will reappear as soon as the substrate is disturbed and light is reintroduced.
I have also used Algae control liquids, vacing the complete top layer of sand off, to the stage of not being able to see any of it anywhere in the tank, then cleaning the filters out to get rid of any that was floating around after the clean out.
It isnt on the plants, only on the sand, so I have been lucky.
All my parameters are fine
Ammo 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0
PH 7.0
GH 2
KH 2
So my chemistry looks ok, I have also put some phos sorb in the cannister filter, as too many phosphates can encourage growth I am told.
None of my fish have been affected, they are as healthy as ever.
Any other comments or info would be appreciated.

Ashley

Cuong
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:22 PM
Try keeping the light off for longer than 2 days, and daily small water changes. I think you on the right track but need to keep persisting with it.