PDA

View Full Version : Sick Hybrid...

Proteus
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:28 PM
I recieved a PM form a member here asking for help regarding a sick fish...

No, it is not a Discus, and sadly I dont know enough about this type of fish (many have seen a pic of it on here in another area)

I ask all of you, please dont make any judgements as to the type of fish, and if anybody can help it will be greatly appreciated by myself, the author of the message to me, and the owner of the fish...

I thought you might be able to help with my brother-in-laws sick flowerhorn, this is a direct translation from Indonesian

"My flowerhorn has just got over popeye.. but for the last 3 weeks he hasn’t been able to close his mouth, so he hasn’t been eating. I have no idea why this happened. It looks like his lower jaw is somehow locked, so he couldn’t close his mouth. But inside his mouth, there’s this membrane that opens and close.. really weird."

Any help appreciated.

Obviously this fish means a lot to someone, so any help will be great...

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:35 PM
Sounds nasty, there are alot of Flowerhorn/cichlids sites i would try find some info there. Hopefully someone can help you here but by the sounds of it, the problem is a bit more complicated then pop eye.
Doesnt matter what type of fish it is when a fish is sick there is no need for arguements.

nicholas76
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:05 AM
lock jaw - i used to breed another aggressive cichlid (red devils) and these fish are known to get this.

Usually caused by aggressive fish in spawning mode. They somtimes battle so hard for attention when mating they will rip up skin, lose flesh , DIe even, damage there mouths so they cant function properly.

cant fix a locked jaw once its busted.!

hope it isnt this.

Annie
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 09:12 PM
Any chance of a posted pic?

weird
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:13 AM
The fish is still not eating (1 month now) but I think it is a bacterial infection in the mouth, "cotton mouth" ?

Annie
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:36 AM
I would reccommend that you try using Maracyn and Marcyn II together. These meds are a Broad-spectrum, nontoxic antibiotic that is used to treat infections of a wide range, as well as secondary and internal infections.
You will use the full doses of each at the same time per gallons of water the tank is. You will treat the tank for 5 days with out doing a water change. On the 5th day do a 50% water change and see how the fish is doing...if not any better I would retreat for another 5 days.
If you are not able to get the Maracyn, you can use Erythromycin or Tetracycline. Take the temp of the tank slowly down to 75-76 degrees, this will help slow the bacteria from growing and spreading. And you will also need to increse the aeration while using meds.
Oh, and don't forget to remove all of the carbon in the tank.

weird
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 12:44 PM
I just heard some sad news from indo, unfortunately he passed away. Thanks guys for all your help. Access to the internet is not as easy (and definitely not as fast) as here in Australia, and also getting time on a computer in a large family, so he (my brother-in-law) was not able to participate in any forums. Again thanks for all your help.

"He was a very beautiful and an important fish to many, and even though his time amongst us was short he will always be remembered..." amen.

Here is a shot how he is best remembered....

Proteus
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 02:08 PM
I am truly sorry and saddened to hear of your loss...

from what you say however, he was a much loved fish, and I am sure he couldnt have had a better life anywhere else, sadly though his time was limited...

amen bro...

Annie
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:47 AM
So very sorry for the loss thet you all of had to endure, my thought go out to you all.

nicholas76
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:47 AM
very sad to hear about your loss, it was a lovely fish.

I hope you find a new fish that will bring back the happiness and enjoyment this one did.

Regards