PDA

View Full Version : my circus discus ...

shayesmommy
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:08 PM
i thought i would share my story as an amusing story but not really at the time.
I was getting ready to go out of town for the day.. i was watching my babies..
and the biggest discus(reds wife, think they were starting to pair up) well i saw here going up and down the side of the tank. :O
so i called my dad cause i was excited. thinking that they were starting.well instead of continuing alone. She started spinning in circles and swimming upside down. :O
She was getting stuck on things and under things. It was amusing until i started thinking something was wrong.. She did this for about 20 minutes.
well i had to leave in 20 minutes and my kids werent even ready.
i rushed and did a test. which of all were ok. I couldnt figure it out..
She had stopped doing it.. But i wasnt convinced. so i left it in my dads hands who never had any experiance with them and hoped for the best...
Well shes fine all others are fine. So i dont know what it was. and my dads convinced it had nothing to do with the water..
No signs of anything odd from any discus. all happy healthy and eating..

nicholas76
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:43 PM
Thats diffrent >??

the only thing that causes dizzness in my experience is when you have a bare bottom tank that has no colouring on the base or sides.

some fish lose sense of direction and dont know which way is up..

keep us posted mate.

shayesmommy
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 03:24 PM
thats what i thought.. i seen videos of them being slanted .upright. thats what she was doing on the back wall when breeding.. but she never stopped spinning.
As of today nothing yet all are eating acting normal.
I got a gravel bottom and subtrate. Background..
gravel is blue/purple and subtrate is red.
Her and red Are still fightning with all the other fish and cornering them alll in the corners.
Im thinking maybe she could have been plugged up.
cause shortly after she had a massive poop. could that even be it?

bushie
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
I had the same thing with one of mine.
spinning... turning upside down.. ect.
when it stopped, it did a large excretia and several farts ( I didn`t know fish farted).
perhaps its their way of getting air to go in the right direction :lol:

Mulisha
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:33 AM
they could have tryed getting food from the surface of the tank and got a mouthful of air and needed to get rid of it. :lol:

gro
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 03:15 AM
I have coupla pieces of drfitwood and now that my discs are acclimatized to their surroundings they have begn getting themselves into the most unique places. I thought being large and "delicate" they wouldn't, but in the search of food they can get through gaps of about 2cms and the other day one actually swam sideways and backwards between the substrate and timber. pretty funny to watch.