PDA

View Full Version : Discus size....

benjohnson
Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:33 PM
I have 3 week old fry.
Unfortunately due to a minor mishap they had to be seperated at a week old and put into their own home.

I have 6 still going and were now at 3 weeks...

however, they dont look very big to me, thy are eating a combination of liquifry, TetraMin baby powder and brine shrimps when i can get the damn things to hatch,

They have also been having extra vitamins into their water , water changes etc etc.

What size should they be at this stage ? And also, at what age can i start feeding them normal food??

Ben

Mulisha
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 05:14 AM
they should be about 8 inchs fro head to tail at the age if there not you may aswell fluch them down the toilet!!

I'm only joking mate sorry i was drinking red drinks 8-) and got a little hyped up hehe

Post a picture of them sometimes by looking at them u can tell..

Good luck mate :D

Like a Ben always said Waterchanges and lots of food 8-)

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 06:22 AM
Hi Ben, I'd stop using the liquifry. It's probably too small for them now, and has a nasty habit of reducing the quality of the water.

Your babies need heat (30 degrees celcius) lots of clean water (daily waterchanges of around 80%) and high protein food.

Baby brine shrimp are the way to go, live of course are best, but sometimes you can find the frozen ones too. Make sure they are Baby Brine, or they will sell you the adult ones, which are far too large.

You could also try microworms. You get them in a live culture from your aquarium store, and they are the right size for tiny fish, and fall to the bottom of the tank, where your baby discus will be looking for food.

A small amount of very fine powdered food will be good too, but you only need the tiniest amount several times a day, because it will pollute the tank very quickly at high temperatures.

Good luck.

You've done well so far.

benjohnson
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 04:36 PM
Ok , this is the best picture i can get.... so best guess please !!!

I have bought some frozen daphnia that seems to be very fine, i dropped some into the tank and the babies seemed to eat it ok , so maybe that weill work?

I need to work on my water changes by the sound of it , i have been doing it every other day and only doing 25%

Question - over what period of time do i need to adjust the temp? It is at 86 degrees at the moment.

Thanks

Ben :lol:

Mulisha
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 11:58 PM
I think if i was to ever raise babies i would try real hard to feed them a fair bit of LIVE baby brine shrimp because when BBS are small and only just hatched they still have their egg sack which is very nutritious for the fry at such a critical age in there life.

GoodLuck mate!

8-)

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 27, 2006, 04:10 AM
You only need to increase your temperature by 2 degrees Ben from 86 to 88 F which is equivalent to 30 degrees C. That can be done immediately.

Water changes are probably the most critical factor in raising discus fry. It's something you just can't put off, or their health will suffer.

I've used the frozen daphnia too, and it seems to work well, but I don't think it's as nutritious as the newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

benjohnson
Thu Aug 31, 2006, 02:37 PM
Their still going strong. Raising the temperature, changing the water more often and feeding them powder , frozen daphnia and live brine srimps, has certainly brought its rewards.

I estime they have doubled in size in the last week or so and are looking really healthy ! Have grown their top fin and are starting to look discus shaped now !! Have attached a photo....

Thanks for your help !

Ben