PDA

View Full Version : Discus??

Skulljug
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a 75g tank that I am setting back up, I've moved a few times so packed my tank away for the last year - Can't wait to get it back up and running.

It will be fully planted, I've got a lot of experience with planted tanks so it should look pretty good. I've always kept angels so I thought I might make the change to discus instead and have a few questions about their special requirements.

1. I'm in brisbane and the water is quite hard, I understand that Discus need very soft (about 2d GH i believe). I can buy an RO unit if I have to but would rather not spend the money. I have an 80 litre tub that I use to mix my water, Can I simply run a filter with Peat to soften the water, then swap the peat for Carbon to remove the Tanin?

I have read that when you use the two together they cancel each other out, but what about in sequence? Does the peat moss work by removing minerals from the water, if so then this method should work or does it just hold those minerals in suspension somehow?

2. I know that the less nitrate in the tank the better. Because of the plant growth in my tank I have to dose nitrate and my usually target is 10ppm. Is this ok or should I lower this to around 3 and dose kno3 daily?

3. I have read that you can have 1 discuss per 10g, this seems like a lot to me. I think 7 fully grown discus in my tank would be a bit too much so would probably aim for five. Sound about right?

4. I plan to keep them with a couple of rams and dwarf gouramis and a few smaller tetras and a pleco. I love Danios but think their never ending movement would bother the discus. Will my pleco be ok with discus? He's is really well fed, will this help prevent him from sucking on the discus?

Sorry about all the questions but I want to get this right first go. I really appreciate and advice you guys/gals can give me. Thanks heaps.

Mulisha
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
To work out your water first what are the specs of ya tap water?

The general rule like you said is 1 adult discus per 40L. However saying that you could have 1 adult discus per 10L of water but you would have to do twice daily w/c etc. So my lightly stocking is the better way.

I'm not sure if you have room but i think a really good diea would if you could afford it of course is to buy one of those 2,000L rain water tanks ...
That way in your water storage barrel just mix at 50% of each and you should have perfect water just depends on your tap water.

goodluck.

Skulljug
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hey rick!

Thanks for the response. I said 10g which is about 37 litres so that sounds about right!! I should have just asked you on aquariumlife!

The rainwater thing is a great idea - But i'm in brisbane so it wouldn't really work. A mate of mine has had a rainwater tank for since may - I caught him a few days back trying to fill it up with the hose (He's not really all that bright).

P.S. I get my internet back on at home on wednesday (just moved in) So i'm sending you some details for the fert place at Yandina.

Cheers.

Mulisha
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
Cheers mate well i think umm RO water will be your best bet then that will give you a very clean water but it will have no minerls so mixing that with tap will untill you reach a good water spec you should be fine.
I have a sailfin pleco in with my discus he tends to leave them alone i give him a algae wafer as the lights are about to go out so it's like amidnight snack for him :lol: :lol:

goodluck and ask as many questions as you like :D

Rick.