View Full Version : Ever see a Mantis shrimp before?

80in55
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:44 PM
Check out my pet, Walter, getting fed some krill! He LOVES the stuff!
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/CHorwarth/?action=view&current=DSCN0356.flv

80in55
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:46 PM
Sorry about that!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/CHorwarth/th_DSCN0356.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/CHorwarth/?action=view&current=DSCN0356.flv)

Ben
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:47 PM
Wow!!!

he looks nasty!!

80in55
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
He would take a finger off with one hit! Known to be the second hardest hitting animal in the animal kingdom! Used to be #1, but was recently replaced by none other than an ant! Go figure?

*Chris*
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:37 PM
i have three of the little buggers swimming around
the tank somewher came off my live rock
was going to take them out but thought arrrr stuff it he is only going to kill half dozen fish a yr
:lol: :lol:

marg
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
Wow what a ripper!!

Does he only come out at feeding time?

marg.

*Chris*
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:40 AM
geez mine arent that big
he would take your finger off
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

80in55
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:44 AM
No, he comes out all the time! He roams the tank a lot. He knows about feeding time, and loves to ambush! It's almost comical! He EX, if you don't want those shrimp, catch them and send them my way! I have a place for them!!! It's not in Walters tank, but for sure they will get a good home!

Mulisha
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:55 AM
That thing is insane i would hate to be doing the w/c :shock:

Jee loves the pvc pipe :D

80in55
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
Water changes aren't so bad b/c I change the water from the sump and fuge underneath! So, I never really have to put my hands in there except to go after corals and the such! And, yes, he does love the PVC... it took him a little to get used to it, and make his burrow in it, but now he loves it!

nicholas76
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah these guys make great pets. ( as long as you dont keep marine fish with them Lol ) Beginners tip - if your fish start dissapearing its usually these guys fault lol

when buying live rock you usually have to cold dump it when you get it home to get these nasty critters out. Hands are like razor blades!

They will eat small mantis shrimp , crabs, they will have a crack at anthing they can ambush. These critters are often a by product and are thrown out which is a shame

Colours are stunning from fluro greens, blues oranges, nice cray fish tip of species, Best of all they are dead cheap.

Those in melbourne that are keen should pop down to Reeflections aquariam and check them out.

They get new coral every friday which contain "Heaps" of mantis shrimp so you can score some freebees im sure!

wickedglass
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 12:21 PM
All I can say is: I love Walter !!!

are you thinking of printing T-shirts?

wickedglass
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 12:27 PM
does he flouresce in the dark?

80in55
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 12:44 PM
No, he doesn't flouresce in the dark, but he will flouresce under the correct lens. His uropods will also change depending on his mood, but you have to have polarized glasses to see the change. I never thought about printing T-shirts, but walter's story is nothing compared to Tim the Supermantis! Check out his story on Reefcentral in the mantis shrimp forum!