PDA

View Full Version : Peatmoss from Bunnings

Phlipper
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
Some people has been asking about where to buy genuine peatmoss, well I found out just today Bunnings do sell the real thing as well as imitations.

I've been using it today to pot a few aqautic plants in terra cotta pots in the fish room.................so this is what to look for 8-) and an Australian Product as well 8-)

Ben
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
That’s the one I use,

I just boil it for 15 minutes before using it.

Helps remove any impurities

Ben

Phlipper
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:20 PM
Ah cool, I'm glad I bought the right one then 8-) I dont actually use it for my general aquaria anyway, just for a plant tank with lots of terra cotta pots with various aquatic plants in them.

fish_r
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
same one iv'e got in my aquariums too...

Robdog
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:44 PM
I've got some of that in some of my tanks as a layer under the sand. It doesn't lower the ph as much as I would've thought or it could be the sand buffering it back up. It's good for the plants though. It's brought an anubias plant back to life for me.

Phlipper
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
I've never found peatmoss to lower the PH much at all, but it does have a softening effect I believe, pity about the staining aspect though I reckon ?

marg
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
Boil it first Phil and you will find that it is clearer.

marg.

Phlipper
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:11 PM
Yep I understand that, but by boiling it doesn't that leach out the good properties of the natural tannins for reducing PH and water softening ? So by boiling it no longer serves it's purpose, or am I mistaken ?