PDA

View Full Version : Jack Watley Food Mix

Peaches
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty excited b/c my LFS started carrying the Jack Watley frozen Discus Mix.

My only concern is that I'm feeding them Krill and flake/pellets as well. Should I only feed the Krill (which is frozen) once or twice a week in place of the Discus Mix? They eat a mix of flakes and pellets as well as Tubifix and Krill. We were feeding Beef Heart(frozen) but they hardly touched it and the pleco ended up eating it. They ate the Formula One we put in, but Formula One and Discus Mix have a lot of the same things and we figured the Discus Mix was made more for Discus than the Formula One.

So...any thoughts on this?

Proteus
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:28 PM
For those that are not aware of this product, it is made by Ocean Nutrition and endorsed by old Jack. It is only available in North America.

Ingredients:

Beef heart, clams, plankton, shrimp, beef liver, spinach, gel binder, krill hydrolysate, marine fish meal, refined marine fish oil, wheat flower, wheat germ, spirulina, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid including stabilized vitamin C, vitamin E supplement, d-activated animal-sterol (D3), niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, beta-carotene supplement, biotin), amino acids (dl-methionine, taurine, lysine), and trace elements (manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite).

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 11.2%
Crude Fat (min) 1.6%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.3%
Moisture (max) 81.0%
(Protein as a percentage of dry matter 55.0%)

FishLover
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:53 PM
No such luck for me. I don't think my lfs is carrying this.

Nathan
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:51 AM
damn wish they had that here, theres some dam good ingrediants in that stuff not mention the protein

Peaches
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:18 PM
My LFS repackages some of their food and this was one of the ones they've repackaged.

It's awesome food:) Our Marlboro (Klause) attacked it to the bottom of the tank:)

Any thoughts on not using Formula One?

I keep forgetting that most of you guys are in Australia! :cry:

Nathan
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 07:21 AM
i wouldnt worry to much about the formular one if its got similar things in it an that if the other mix offers more.

id be trying to keep a varied diet which it looks like you do, it doesnt have to be a regular sort of thing where on this certain day an time you feed them this certain thing.

if i was u id be feeding them the discus mix in the morning, as it has been the longest period of time without food for them. then if in the after noon your krill or tubifix then at night some pellets.

thats my opinion but yea i dnt think theres any particular order you need to do it in but thats how id do it.

good to hear your fish love the mix