PDA

View Full Version : Advice on worming?

pbates
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:20 AM
I currently have 5 discus in my community tank.
I've only had one discus until recently, and didn't know that worming was recommended until visiting sites like this.

Two of my recently added discus sometimes have the stringy droppings that are usually associated with worms. Even if its not worms, I'd like to worm them all as a precautionary measure.

My fish are in a 4' planted community tank with cardinal + rummy nose tetras and a few clown loaches.

From reading the posts on the subject I believe i need to use two different worming medications Praziquantel and Levamisole.

Is there a way to worm them in the community tank? Or am i going to kill the tetras and loaches? I don't have ready access to a 2nd tank, so I'd prefer to avoid separating the fish if I can.

The Praziquantel sold on APW (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1269) mentions not using it with tetra's or loaches so I guess that's out.

Is Levamisole safer, and will it do an OK job by itself?

Is there any other treatment I could use?
Is it viable to soak brine shrimp or worms in the meds and feed that to the discus?

Thanks

Mulisha
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:27 AM
Hi mate i'm worming my fish at the moment in a 450L heavily planted tank and i have congo tetras, black widow teras and neon tetras and clown loachs and a pleco with 2 adult discus i just used Fuke And Tapeworm Tablets 1 tab per 20L and i dosed at that rate with no effects to any of my fish at all. I'm saying use it at your own risk but i had no problems.

You need to repeat after 7 days as well.

Good Luck Mate

*Chris*
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:31 AM
just be very careful with dosing especially with clown loach
scaleless fish with any medication usually results in death if ovedosed
cheers
EXAI

samir
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:43 AM
i think levimasole should be ok for loaches just confirm with someone with more experience first, and EX-A.I*FISHBOY could we get a pic of that fish in your avtar, and why the "ex" ?

*Chris*
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:48 AM
the fish was off a sight sorry but i have red gold diamonds here but not as nice as that one
the ex well............
i used to be the AI fishboy
until i quit ................ two months ago
people still call me fishboy so i thought why not EX-AIFISHBOY
tryst me i didnt want to quit AI but
least this way i keep a little bit of AI with me :lol: :lol:

pbates
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:59 AM
Mulisha,

what brand of tablets did you use?

*Chris*
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:00 AM
he probably used the aqua master tabs
there probably the only ones around fitting his description

samir
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:13 AM
those contain praziquantel which will get rid of tapeworms (if any) and control flukes. for nematodal parasites like roundworms or camallanus, you will have to use levimasole.

*Chris*
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:25 AM
or iv mectin
otherwise known as iv plus

Mulisha
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:26 AM
yeah mate they were the Aquamaster ones they cost me $24.95 i've had to use 2 containers so it's wise before you need to treat again try get 100tabs off APW for $52.95 well worth it.. 8-)

GoodLuck.