PDA

View Full Version : I'm VERY proud to be an Australian, are you?

Xtreme
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:46 AM
From the daughter of a Soldier...

Last week I was in Melbourne attending a conference. While I was in
the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning
to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the
greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their uniforms, as
they began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was
abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering. When I saw
the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it
hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded Australian who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work, and enjoy our home without fear or reprisal.
Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of the male soldiers. He knelt down and said "hi," the little girl
then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her. The young soldier didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would
try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Suddenly the little girl
grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughters name was Courtney,
told the young soldier that her husband was a Corporal and had been
in Afghanistan for 5 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter, Courtney, missed her father, the young soldier began to
tear up.

When this temporarily single mum was done explaining her situation, all
of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the
other servicemen pulled out a military looking walkie-talkie. They started
playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.
After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back
over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that
he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying
"Your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and
he is coming home very soon."

The mum at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the
young soldier stood to his feet he saluted Courtney and her mum.
I was standing no more than 6 feet away as this entire event
unfolded. As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of moment turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families
and thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's
good to be an Australian.

I have a family full of people in the miltary,and it make me a very proud Australian!!

Benny
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:54 AM
Touching story!

I stand behind our Country 100%

wickedglass
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:11 AM
oh please, this is a fish forum ....

Xtreme
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 02:08 PM
Meaning???

marg
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:07 PM
Beautiful story Xtreme. I also am proud to be an Aussie.

Chris this was posted in the Amazon Lounge - meaning that we can talk about anything we choose in this area, not necessarily Fish :D .

marg.

Phlipper
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:36 AM
Impressive story, much appreciated 8-) AUSTRALIA 8-) good onya mate.

hootie2s
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 04:03 AM
Guys as a current serviceman who has completed 3 tours of duty to the MEAO (Middle East Area of Operation).

THANKS!!!

Its good to know that there are those out there who support us and Australia is not full of the scrubby mongrels who spat at our families as they saw us off.

Regards,
Brett

sammigold
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 04:59 AM
Its good to know that there are those out there who support us and Australia is not full of the scrubby mongrels who spat at our families as they saw us off.

Regards,
Brett

To hear that people actually do that type of thing breaks my heart....

We as Australians should support and encourage our servicemen who go out and defend us and others.... it is a courage that many of us dont have, and should be rewarded not denigrated as these "scrubby mongrels" do...

I think that is a perfect description of the kind of person who would do that.

ps. Rebecca, that story made me cry... It's very easy for those of us who dont have immediate friends or family in the armed forces to forget the human face of these brave men and women who have to leave their children and families ....

Bravo to all our soldiers!!

chrissyoscar
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 07:30 AM
I have all the respect in the world for our soldiers.

Ben
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 09:59 AM
Just aswell VB was made here in.." The land of a sun burnt country".... as it would have been wasted any where else!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!
Oi Oi Oi!!!!

Xtreme
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:07 AM
I loved this story, thats why I put it on here, because I too think that we dont really know what goes on out there and we probably should support them and thank them more than we do. Not even the government acknowledges what they really go through when they are away. And I am most sure that even the littlest thank you matters to them, especially when they miss a lot of family life and are away for so long at times.

My youngest brother has just recently come back from his final deployment to Timor, and shortly will be leaving the Navy after 8 years to go into the Federal Police, and the ammount of pride I have for him cannot be put into words. Each time I waved him goodbye as he sailed off into the sunset, into the unknown and unsafe, my heart would break and I would feel so scared for him, and yet so proud that he would put his life on the line for our country and others.

Proudest moment: After a hard day on the streets confiscating weapons, putting out fires and all sorts of other things, he found a massive chocolate cake that was cooked for all the sailors, he proceeded to take the lot off board, knelt down and offered the cake to a bunch of little Timorese kids, who must have thought it was straight from heavan! He said the look in there eyes as they gobbled down the tasty treat, was worth every scary moment he ever had!

So yes, we should get behind anyone who risks themselves to protect the most beautiful country in the world!

Rebecca

hootie2s
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:01 PM
Nice one Rebecca.....can you pm me your brothers name and ship?

I was deployed to Timor Leste too and was most likely serving with your brother on L52 :wink:

I was having a yarn with a few of the lads on there going to the police as I have been thinking of pulling the pin too after 10 years in Her Majesties finest