PDA

View Full Version : Centrum Or Mulitvitamin and minerals??

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:24 AM
Hi guys

I brought some Centrum yesterday for me and then was reading the back and noticed all the things in it that fishys and plants need :shock: :shock:

I have a few question so bare with me :lol:

I current;y use rainwater with a ph of 5.5 and 0 gh, kh.
I bring my ph and kh up with bi carb soda to about 3 - 4 kh and 6.8 - 7.2 ph.

But i haven't been adding any vitamins or minerals to the water and thought maybe this could be the ultimate all in one minerals and vitamin supplent my fish need.
If this product is ok to use i would be crushing the tablet up into a powder and then mixing it with water and adding it to the tank..
1 tablet per ??L i have no idea but someone might now :lol:

I know about 80% of the vitamins and minerals in Centum are used for fish but some i have no idea what is what..

Thanks guys/girls for any bit of your help...

PS: Trying to find a cheaper way to add minerals back into my tank with out spending $40+ a month on brand name stuff...

Cheers 8-)

Nathan
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
i think itd be better if you added this stuff to there food rather then there water.

just make it into a powder an if u make your own beefheart then you could easily put this stuff in, i kno of a few ppl that do this.

HTH

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:31 AM
I don't make food for my fish i feed mainly live brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, myssis shrimp and Bloodworms. And then also Dry Tetra Bits.
The reason i'm asking if i can add this to my water is

A: I have no minerals in my water.
B: Instead of buying expensive thing like Seacehm Equilbrium i rather try add something like this to the water.

Sorry if i sounded rude i didn't mean too :oops: :oops:

Thanks for ur help Nathan it's great other people use it means that i won't be killing my fish hehe :wink:

Proteus
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:59 AM
My main concern would be the binding agents in the tablets and there effect in the water, other than that it should be ok.

In regards to Equilibrium, it can be purchased in a 4kg size (personally I special order it through one of the sponsors for my own use. At around $130 it lasts me 6-9 months.

Equilibrium™ is specifically designed to establish the ideal mineral content for the aquarium. Equilibrium™ contains no sodium or chloride (which can be detrimental to a planted aquarium at elevated levels). Equilibrium™ is ideally suited for use with RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) water or any mineral deficient water. Equilibrium™ raises the essential mineral/electrolyte content (General Hardness) of the water to balance with and promote stability of the carbonate hardness.

*Chris*
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:03 AM
i would strongly discourage you from using it !
not only does it have a whole lot of minerals that really should not be in water there concentrations are far to high to be placed in the tank.
if you couls seperate each one of those minerals and use the recommended quantity then by all means
anything that is not intended for fish should never be used in a tank unless you have been advised to do so OR know what you are doing
not saying you dont but
last thing you want is all your fish belly up after putting centrum in there tank
you have the altimate water coming from your storage tanks why do you want to add things to it?

cheers
EXAI

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:11 AM
Are you feeling 100%? Try Centrum, its complete from A to Zinc

(TV add peoples, i wanna be a reporter when i grow up....... as if)

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:14 AM
my water might be good for breeding but growing up discus etc and for a planted tank it's not the best.

Well proteus might have to look into the 4kg of Eqibrium becuase looks like the centrum is a NO NO :(

You said ex that it has to many things that shouldn't be in water and then Nathan said i know people that use hmm i'll wait for a few other oppions... 8-)

Thanks everyone for your oppions :wink:

*Chris*
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:15 AM
keep trying mate you wont get anywhere fast unless you have a pair of jugs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
havent you noticed most tv presenters are young females ???

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:30 AM
hahaha jugs, you crack me up!

i have noticed, thats why i watch the naked news!

might have to buff up my abs or something hahaha

or i could just put on a dress, a bit of lippy and a pair of heels (hope i dont break my neck) and change my name to Cortney ;)

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:32 AM
So your hair is londe already davo no need to dye it :lol:
I haven't see the naked news in a while now :shock:

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:35 AM
haha yer it is fairly blonde, gotta get some more lemond juice in it ;) pft

ill send u a naked news bloopers video the next time i chat to ya on msn hehe

Nathan
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:38 AM
hey sorry i just realised what centrum was, no i dont kno of anyone that uses centrum but i do kno fppl using a multivitamins from the health food shops in there beefheard mix

*Chris*
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:44 AM
well i didnt do water chem and water breakdowns for nothing :lol: :lol:

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 02:11 AM
Well id Centum is a no go could some please suggest a DIY/cheaper option for those who have ro/rainwater and need to add back some minerls into the water..

Thanks heaps 8-)

Nathan
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
this is the link where ive seen ppl use multi vitamins in there food, i also kno of a few more ppl aswel though. anyway i hope this helps.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1013

Mulisha
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:05 PM
I found this Multivitamin the Centrum did contain persertives.

This multivitamin is not ment to contains any perservites or anything like that.

Could this to added to water to boost my minerals in my water as well helping my fish out?

Thanks 8-)

http://www.cenovis.com.au/prod_details.php?ID=131900,160061

Ben
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:50 AM
Rick answer is NO!

use this stuff mate:

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Equilbrium.html

As proteus mentioned.

Mulisha
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:14 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Stupid costly stuff LOL

8-)

Thank You Ben My Hero :lol: :lol:

Proteus
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:06 AM
I found this Multivitamin the Centrum did contain persertives.

This multivitamin is not ment to contains any perservites or anything like that.

Could this to added to water to boost my minerals in my water as well helping my fish out?

Thanks 8-)

http://www.cenovis.com.au/prod_details.php?ID=131900,160061

Whilst most of the ingredients look ok, there are a few I am a litle dubious about.

Also, this:

This product contains sugars.

As an additive to a home made food recipe, this may work, but that would be about it. The percentages of ingredients are designed for the human digestive tract, whether it would benefit the fish in any way would need to be done as a matter of trial and error.

Personally I would stick with products designed for the home aquarium, however sometimes a product comes along which may work - it just hasnt been tested yet.

Mulisha
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks mate i think i'll be giving your coral bone a try and it might supply enough nutrients then for me not worry about.. 8-)

Cheers