PDA

View Full Version : young spawners

azzakat
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:05 AM
My discus spawned for the first time last week and it was on the guard on the heater unfortunetly the eggs were infertile (male didn't do his job).
I've removed the guard from the heater to discourage laying there again but it appears they are getting ready to spawn again just one week from there first spawn and they have choosen the heater :evil: twiching at it and cleaning it :evil: I have put a guard over the heater and now they have moved to the sponge filter. What can i do :ug i have PVC pipe in the tank but they have never shown any interest in it at all :(

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:15 AM
Is there any real reason they can't use the sponge filter? But it's always way isn't it try and make them spawn on the right thing and they spawn on everything else :lol: :lol:

Nathan
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:23 AM
the wrigglers would most likely attach straight to the filter rather then the parents (as the filter is the darkest thing in the tank) an would probly all die of starvation

Mulisha
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:47 AM
oh my bad :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nathan
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:34 AM
nono youl never learn if u never ask questions, besides thats actually a pretty valid question IMO

nicholas76
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 01:52 AM
Easy fix ....Cover the sponge filter in white coloured filter medium

Also move your cone to the furthest corner to the location of the heater and sponge filter.

Let them learn about the best places to spawn! trial and erro makes them better parents

very nice fish by the way.

azzakat
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks all to the responses. I didn't think it would be bad for them to spawn on the filter as my friends pair move the wrigglers to the sponge after they hatch. I would like to get them spawning on the PVC and was looking for ideas to encourage that. I like nicholas76 idea and will consider this.
I think they liked the glass surface of the heater as they are scoping out the thermometer?
Oh well trial and error it is!

azzakat
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 04:49 AM
just some better pics :D
male is SSL
Female not sure. has SSL markings but also diamond fin shape?

mistakes r crucial
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:56 AM
If you move the PVC pipe to the centre of the tank you may well find they will choose that instead of sponge filters, heaters etc. Dark sponge filters and Discus fry don't go well together, they can cause all sorts of issues that you can do without.
MAC

azzakat
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:09 AM
Great news everyone
They have drawn their attention to the PVC :wave2
I will keep everyone up to date i'm expecting a spawn in a few days.

does anyone know what SSL go for does $50 for a 5cm sound reasonable or is this over/under the norm

Mikeyfish7620
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:57 AM
Is it just me or does those discus look stunted? Because the eyes seem to be kinda big...im no expert on stunted discus or discus in anyway for that matter but their eyes seem big in proportion to the body

azzakat
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:20 AM
:shock: :shock: I've seen stunted discus and have one that was given to me and in no way are these 2 stunted. If your discus have smaller eyes they may be malnurished :!: causing them not to grow out properly