PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of Aquarium Water

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 11:11 AM
Is there anything wrong with putting aquarium water down the stormwater drain when doing water changes?

Heidi

goldenpigeon
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 11:18 AM
why not water your lawn or your neighbors lawn if yours is thoroughly watered? putting it in the drain is a waste.

Ben
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
Just remember..!

You paid for it, so do what ever you want with it!

goldenpigeon
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
Ben i think HAN 'D' aquariums id refering to aquarium water being unsafe to put down the drain... all drains lead to the ocean, disease etc...

while we pay for it i think we need to be mindful not to waste probably out most precious resource.

Ben
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:23 PM
Ben i think HAN 'D' aquariums id refering to aquarium water being unsafe to put down the drain... all drains lead to the ocean, disease etc...

Good point!!

maybe run it through a UV as it goes down the drain.

Nathan
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 01:24 PM
i agree with u golden, you did pay for it but you could easily put on the lawn or on the garden

nicholas76
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 04:19 PM
The garden grows greener due to my tank water :)

its a shame my bill dosent reflect my effort in recycling used water though

Proteus
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 10:27 PM
Lawns, gardens, pot plants all benefit from water changes...

Phlipper
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:44 AM
Give it to the garden, it's the responsible thing to do in this dry land of ours { Aus. } You may very well find it is not legal to pour it down the drain, especially if it is a stormwater drain, stormwater ends up into the oceans or lakes eventually, whereas sewer piping ends up at the treatment works......this is the better option if you have no garden.

All my fish water goes onto my garden through a network of cheap polypipe, about 1000 litres every week, maybe more, my garden is blooming well. 8-)

chrissyoscar
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
maybe run it through a UV as it goes down the drain.

Ben you're a classic :lol:

Grow a vege patch and use the water on that.

Just one thing though why is it bad to put aquarium water down the drain. It does end up in our creeks and oceans but it's only water that had fish living in it and last time I looked our rivers and oceans also have fish in them :?

*Chris*
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:40 AM
this is how tropical disease gets out into our waters
camilarus some forms of velvet and fish olcers have all gotten out to our native fish this way
most mass storage facilities or wholesalers have to treat there water for seven days with chlorine bleach before adding dechlorinater and then flushing it into the storm water drains

our natives cods perchs minnows trout all have been found to carry pathogens that do not occur naturally her in oz
thanks to either fish being realeased into our waters that are not native or from storm water
EXAI

Cuong
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:58 AM
Funny you mention trout, thems aren't native :lol:

But you're right, it's a simple way to put our natives at risk.

chrissyoscar
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:58 AM
Good point, didn't think of that :oops:

*Chris*
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:03 AM
trouts are now classified and excepted as native fish as are karp
funnily enough
bit stupid really but thats how it is