PDA

View Full Version : FS: 3 x Marine Tubes, 15K, 48inch, 40W - Brand New !

dimka100
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I have brand new 3 tubes that I got with some reflectors that I bought, they are brand new and never used, I'm selling them as they are for a marine set up and I have a planted tank.

They are rated at 15000K, 40W, 48inch (120cm) Tubes.

I'm asking for $10 per tube but any other offers will be considered.

Thank You

*Chris*
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
most marine globes are suitable for plants as they have the same kelvin rating if not more that plants need
AI

dimka100
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Hold on are you telling me that I should keep these 15K tubes and use them in a planted tank???

I always though that tubes designed for plants are in the 5000 - 8000 k region.

I'm planning to have a number of lotus and other high light plants so that's why I was thinking that I should replace the tubes or am I wrong?

Thank You

*Chris*
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:40 AM
marines need high output lighting because of the macro algae corals ect need a twenty thou kelvin rating . plants such as lotus madagascan lace plant and smost red plants need at least 10 kelvin the more the merrier,
they use metal halides in planted tanks they have ariound a ten thou kelvin rating if there 150 watt
the main down side with globes is after a while they do need replacing where as with a halide two yrs is the live expectancy
cheers
AI
ow and yes dont sell them they are still useful to you
:lol: :lol:

dimka100
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, Well that sounds great.

I actually have a new 48*18*20 tank and I got 3 double reflectors. Each reflector has one 10K and one 15K tube in it. Do you think I should just leave them as is or should I maybe change some to get a better result?

I currently run another tank which is smaller, it has 5 lights in it all different K ratings. I have 3 different lotus plants in it, one is green and another is of some unknown type.

My main aim is to have many red plants in the tank.

Also how often do I need to replace the tubes, every 6 months sound expensive?

Thank You

*Chris*
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:12 PM
every twelve months at least
play it by eye if the plants after a year are still growing like crazy keep the same globes if there stunted not producing runners change the globes.
more lighting the better
i personally would keep the globes but its up to you in the end
the higher the kelvin rating the better
cheers
AI