PDA

View Full Version : Strange Beahviour!!

melrosechase
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
My discus has been acting strange for about a week, for the first couple days all he did was hide under a log then he came out and everything seemed normal then he started swimming around the tank really fast and kind of splashing near the surface every few hours. He still eats good, I don't see any marks on him and I've had him for over a year with nothing new in the tank so I don't think it's a parasite cause I don't know how he would have gotten it. Does anyone know what might be wrong and how do I fix it???!!!

RedcarDiscus
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:04 PM
Hi Melrosechase from the UK,

I think you will have to supply some more details first.

1) What are your water parameters,pH,NH3 NO3,NO4, temp etc as extreme levels of these will cause stress and some wierd antics.
2) Is it one Discus or community tank i.e bulling from others.
3) How often do you W/C and do you filter before/during top up as it can be easy for top up water quality to change without you knowing.( A common problem in UK where HMA filters are very common due to this)
4) Is it planted tank i.e to many hiding places and it is feeling insecure.

Sorry can,t give you a clear diagnosis but these are some of the things i would be looking at.

P.S Extra from 1) check filteration has not broken down or become overloaded as that will turn water sour.

Colin

Phlipper
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:16 AM
Not enough info ?................it sounds likely it is a parasite, maybe whitespot or anyone of numerous types of parasites, they can appear for no apparent reason. Or it could be toxic water from inappropriate water maintenance, high nitrites, nitrates, ammonia etc or some other toxin that has got into the water like insect repellents, air fresheners etc, this may well explain his splashing at the surface trying to escape what ever may be in the water ???

Do a 50 % water change straight away, clean you filter and associated tubing etc and see if there is any change.

marg
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 02:19 AM
Usually when they suddenly go spastic it is a water problem.

Like Philliper said, do a water change - you should then see an improvement.

marg.