PDA

View Full Version : Are my fish healthy?

NDown1
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 12:57 AM
Hey all..

I've had 1 pair of Turqs now for about 9 months.. generally doing very well. I feel I bought from a reputable breeder

Recently, one has begun to seem disinterested in food, and was beginning to face the back of the tank from time to time ... sulking, for about a week

Having 4 discus that previously died from similar symtoms, I felt this was perhaps the signs of hex, so into the hospital they went..

I got in a single dose of metro (one day's worth), until I was called away on out of town business. The dosage was approx 250mg in a 20gal tank

I had someone change the water frequently for me while I was gone.

First impression upon my return was the original healthy fish was now starting to look poor himself... and the other fish was looking much better?!

The one healthy fish turned sick, often displays signs of twitching/ flicking/ shimmy ... but, not scratching himself off tank equipment at all

However, they both show bright colours, seem relatively active, have deep red eyes (which I heard is a sign of healthiness), & not too shy

They have been in the hospital tank for about 4 weeks now, with no medication & nothing except clean water... and food, which they both seem to be eating, but not their usual selves quite yet

I haven't witnessed any "pooing" myself, but seems that there are some regular looking droppings at the bottom of the tank.

I don't want to put back in the community tank until they are 100%

The community tank specs are:

30gal
fully planted with DIY Co2/ canister filter/ the works
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: none
Nitrites: none
Nitrates: 5
Phos: .5
Potassium: unknown
GH/KH: single digits
Temp: 85
W/C: 50% 1 week
UV filter
tank mates : 4 harlequin tetras

Food: Hikari blood worms/ Discus chow (turkey heart)/ flakes

Do these fish look alright to return to their home?

Thanks,
Nick

NDown1
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:38 AM
Pics attached..

NDown1
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:40 AM
more..

NDown1
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:41 AM
more..

NDown1
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:52 AM
one more

Nathan
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
id try an slowly lower your ph to 7.

well first of all they look quite healthy eg fins arent clamped, as you said bright colours.

id be upping your w/c's to 2 25% w/c instead of that one big one at the end of the week.

they seem a bit stunted to me (eye size is not in proportion to rest of the body)

id also raise your temp to 88, also depending on how often you feed them a day id be inclined to increase the ammount of feeds a day but in smaller portions.

anyway i hope all goes well an im sure therel be plenty more comments

apart from that they look pretty good

mistakes r crucial
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:12 AM
I agree with Nathan, apart from looking a little stunted they look healthy although I would consider making it 2 x 50% changes a week as opposed to the one. IMO there is no need to change your Ph or fiddle with your water.
MAC

Nathan
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:16 AM
actually i stand corrected, i do agree with mac, if they seem happy in that ph then it shouldnt be an issue, besides once u start fiddling with water params it becomes complicated an almost always messy!

NDown1
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
Thx ...

Would it be helpful to put them through another cycle of Metro just in case?

.. or would this do more harm than good?

Nick

mistakes r crucial
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 10:52 PM
It's not a good idea to be using powerful drugs unless you know you have a problem and what the problem is.
MAC

*Chris*
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:05 PM
the smaller of the two may have worms
considering the size differance this could be the case maybe try some sterazin to start with if not try something with prazi in it this will kill most worms dead in there tracts then pump them with food doing corresponding water changes and he should pick up
cheers
EXAI

NDown1
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 04:29 AM
update...

one has begun eating much less.. tasting food, and then spitting out... even flake food

100% clean water... continued filtration and aeration

started a new cycle of metro... 250mg every other day...

The sicker fish is still twitching and shaking.. very pale, and showing stress bars, lethargic

The healthier fish is beginning to bully the sicker fish as well... I'm starting to feel bad for him .. I won't let it last too long before I seperate
them

Am I mixed up here... is this spawning behaviour??

Please help...

Bill T.
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 05:11 AM
I'd be a bit concerned about the spitting out food, not eating very well routine.
Talk to the experts, but I would suspect some intestinal parasites.

NDown1
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 01:59 AM
24 hr update..

Both fish are darting & flashing like mad .. I can't even get near the tank without them completely freaking out

The metro must really be making its way through these fish :(

I don't know what else to try... I put a towel over the tank to help settle them down

I figured when I bought these guys, that I would also invest in a UV sterlizer that would help control a lot of these chronic problems with discus... guess not!?

If these guys don't make it after treatment... I think I'm packing up the entire hobby for a while... I've spent so much time, money, and effort trying to keep these fish healthy & happy .. and the enjoyment just isn't there anymore

Convince me otherwise!!!

Nick

samir
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 03:58 AM
increase your temperature to 92 - 94 degrees if treating for hex. tank should be dark and ideally 250mg /40l every 8 hours after a 40% WC. if not then every 12 hours. keep doing this for 10 days or as long as the metro lasts. once you get rid of what is bothering them you will be fine.

Nathan
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 04:09 AM
im sooo sorry to hear your having these problems, but u need to stick it out.

takes samir advice as i agree with him, keep us posted.

try and keep the area where the tank is quiet an low traffic, keeping the tank dark is also a good idea.

hope they pick up soon, good luck

NDown1
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hey all...

Week 1 update...

Still looking sluggish.. not eating very much... not very sharp at chasing down food either... often miss big time if they do decide to take a bite

Keep doing 100% waterchanges + medicating every 48hrs .. 250mg in 40 lts of water.. tank is keep dark 24/7

Full filtration & aeration

Looking a bit better, but definitely not there old selves yet

Will keep going...

Check back soon!

Nick