PDA

View Full Version : Discus and rainbowfish?

sssage
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
I am currently planing a 150 gallon tank with a DIY sump filter, UV sterilizer, and perhaps another filter to be added. It was a former salt water tank so hopefully everything will work well now that it's been cleaned out. It is decorated now with some plastic plants and lots of driftwood. Anywho, I'd like to try discus after various adventures with tropical fish and tanganyikan cichlids. I have been offered a group of rainbowfish and I really like their look, especially as a compliment to the colors of discus. However I am unsure about the compatiblity of eachother.
I know I want to do a group of tetras that tightly school, I know I want 4-6 discus, I know I want to use corys as a clean up crew, but I'm looking for a middle sized fish with lots of color and is somewhat unique. Any tips folks?

sharn
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
im not too up on rainbows but my boesmanis i had were very fast fish and that might upset the discus? they are also very quick at feeding time, so you could end up with some hungry discus and fat rainbows

Ben
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:04 PM
mmm.......

I kept rainbows many years ago, they prefer cooler temps. I think 30.c would be too warm for rainbows.

HTH

Ben

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'm with you Ben. Way too warm for rainbows. They prefer 24 to 26 degrees.

Feeding might be a problem too. You need to keep rainbows on a fairly low protein diet or they suffer from digestive disorders.

sssage
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
thank you for the tips guys, rainbows are a no go. So any good substitutions for a colorful middle sized fish???