PDA

View Full Version : Is this signs of spawning behavior?

Mikeyfish7620
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
I have a male and female white peacock in a 29 gallon tall for about 1 1/2months now and they are fairly young still. When i first got them they were fighting all the time, mostly the male attacking the female showing her whos boss....then i bought a divider to keep them from fighting when i did this the male kept on wanting to go on the other side and the female the same so took off the divider and they were happy together...they swim together ocasionally but they also flare nip at each other. I saw them once get in a lip lock and im pretty sure they didnt want to kiss lol. But the last 4 days they have been cleaning the slate i have in there. The male looks at the slate and cleans it and the female does the same a little after but after the male chases her around or they just do their own thing. But since they are both cleaning the slate does that mean they want to breed? And if so how can i trigger a spawn? Sorry for the long read...but any help would be awesome!

Zbiljc
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure, that thats is spawning.

Nathan
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:47 AM
do u kno how old they r?

ways to induce spawing are daily water changes an fill the tank bak up with water thats a couple degrees cooler then whats in your tank, also lots of feedings an live food.

HTH

Mikeyfish7620
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 02:58 AM
I have no clue really...how old do they look to you? or around this size how old should they be....ive been feeding lots of live bloodworms and cold water changes only about 10% though and nothing yet ill see what happens. everyone will know if they have spawned because ill probably have a new post saying WOOT! or HORRAY or something lol

goldenpigeon
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 06:04 AM
if you can get a clear shot of their underside we could definetly identify their sexes.

it is a bit weird, i would say that this happens because of the lack of age.

Mikeyfish7620
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:31 AM
Its hard to get a shot of the underside maybe i'll take them out and take pics of them out of water because when i take my camera to the tank they come up to me and look at me dead on

Mulisha
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't take them out of the water distract them with food or something to get a good shot 8-)

GoodLuck

Mikeyfish7620
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:27 AM
My Camera isnt good enough to get a clear shot really...i have a red piece of slate that they are cleaning and its got wrinkles in it as you can see kind of in the picture. Do they need a smooth surface to lay their eggs on? Can i take it out and put a upside down flowerpot or since they are cleaning the slate already should i leave it in there? And possibly add the flowerpot also?

samir
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:30 AM
have patience and leave them alone. great looking fish. they will spawn when they have to, if you interfere too much it will just delay things.

azzakat
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 12:07 PM
They are getting ready to spawn :D
I have a pair that have been displaying the same behaviour for the last 3 days and just this evening they had their first spawn.

Mikeyfish7620
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
I hope so im keeping my fingers crossed!

Mulisha
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:44 AM
I think u can un cross ur fingers now they have done it 8-)

Congrats mate and some pics would be awersome to show us how they look etc.!

goodluck!