PDA

View Full Version : UGF & Canister?

cdan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
Hi everyone,
My first post on this forum so hello everybody. I have a question I am setting up a small planted tank 80 litres and have purchased a Eheim classic 2213 canister filter. Should I also have an under gravel filter for a planted tank? I have been looking around and i cant really see any planted tanks with a UGF.
Also what water parameters should I be looking at?
Thanks
Chris

Mulisha
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
Firstly i would definetly not have a UGF becuase it would disturb the root systems to much also when you decide to diy co2 or prsurized you won't want a air stone.

Good luck.

Rick. 8-)

Nathan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:54 AM
First of all a very warm welcome to the forum i hope you learn all you need to an enjoy your time here.

a UFG will be completely pointless if you have the cannister filter.

the ph is quite an argueable topic most people have there 6.5 to 7.2 but the 6.8 region is quite good.

ammonia should be 0 aswel as nitrites.
and nitrates should be under 10ppm.
water temp should be 28-30
the water should also have a low gh.

anyone correct me if im wrong.

cdan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies sort of as I thought the guy that sold me the canister said I would need a under gravel as well. I will pull out the undergravel tonight. I have a mixture of fine gravel as a substrate is this ok? Do I need to add anything to this? Also can someone recomend a good aquarium shop in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

Nathan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:31 PM
that should be fine, a lot of ppl add fertilisers to there substrate before hand, ill let other ppl with more knowledge an experience on that answer that for you.

what suburb do u live in?

you could PM me if u didnt want to disclose this info publicly