PDA

View Full Version : ONline trending of aquarium parameters

Bad Inferno
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
Its been a while since I posted in the equipment section, after my auto water changer..however thought I'd show what I've been up to. I have had ph & conductivity monitors installed for some time (which provide an output siganl) and wanted to start to trend these variables. I've finally found a way to this that didn't break the bank !. I can now login via web broswer and view this data online.

PH You can see when I was not controlling the PH and the daily water changes.....I did have to calibrate the system on thursday and enable CO2 injection. I did a 40% water change on Saturday and you can see how well it controlled. Next weekend I can implement the CO2 calc CO2ppm=1+3*kh(10^(7-ph)) so I can trend co2 ppm directly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/ph1d.png

Conductivity...After a salt treatment 2 weeks ago my conductivity is still comming down little by little. It did run around 200 micro siemens prior to a salt treatment. It is strange as I have now done what is a 100% water change and its still quite high.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/cond1d.png

Temperature...As you can see just put this online this weekend....I was surprised with the large swing...This is monitoring inline temp as it goes into the canister filter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/degc1d.png

pbates
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:12 AM
Nice,

Can you post something on how all this is setup? I presume most of it is custom built.

Having the historical trends must make it a lot easier to identify issues.

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
You can actually see at 12:00 when the lights come on the ph starts to climb back up then the w/c around 7 at night provides the ph spike....The tank is heavily planted, it was just interesting how fast the plants start change the ph reading

KillieOrCory
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:31 AM
Wow! This is cool! You can correct things going bad even before your fish/plants realise things are not to their liking:D

It is strange as I have now done what is a 100% water change and its still quite high.

Just remember, two 50% water changes or four 25% water changes do not equate to 100% water change. For example:

1st 50% waterchange: 50% of previous water remains - fill the tank up
2nd 50% water change: changes the 50% of the water and only 25% of the previous water
--- leaving 25% of the original water in the tank

1st 25% water change: 75% of previous water remains - fill tank up
2nd 25% waterchange: 56.25% of previous water remains - fill tank up
3rd 25% waterchange: 42.25% of previous water remains - fill tank up
4th 25% waterchange: 31.65% of previous water remains - fill tank up
---leaving 31.65% of the original water in the tank

pbates
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:04 AM
I'm green with envy :)

I see all the DCS / Scada stuff at work, but I don't have the skill to DIY. That and renting makes it hard to knock holes in walls :(

Maybe someday ill have a crack at it.

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:14 AM
hi pbates,
where do you work (send us a pm if you want).....I happen to work at Honeywell now, however been involved in DCS/SCADA instrumentation for 20 years

Bad Inferno
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 04:30 AM
I thought I'd post my web address for the above readings...also added some calcs for co2....just open your browser and type in the address bar

rjconway.homeip.net

then select aquarium.

rob

ellwa
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 05:05 AM
**ALARM - Low TankWater Temperature 27.5 Deg C........Date : 21/08/2006 12:04pm - **ALARM

nice man.

now all you need is the ability to change water remotley, and you can go on a holiday!

Bad Inferno
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 05:14 AM
I'm very close to changing water via this interface..I have just found out how to run commands and sorted out a login and password. Probably still need a couple of months. At the moment just getting the logging journal and alarm functions with email alerts happening. The alarm you see is really optimsed for firefox not IE. IE for some reason keeps displaying it in the incorrect location thus you cannot read the text...

Dee
Sat Sep 16, 2006, 07:01 AM
Very cool thread ... keep us posted with developments !!!

Cheers,

Dee.