PDA

View Full Version : DIY co2, a few questions.

Nathan
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
im going to be makin yeast based co2 system, ive worked out evverything except one thing, i was going to attach the line (where the co2 comes out) to a power head but how do i do this so it creates micro bubbles? or would it be better to just put in directly onto a air stone?

Noddy65
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Nathan
I use a scintered glass diffusor (which creates microbubbles) and pop it under a powerhead. The powerhead breaks the bubbles up even more and squirts them onto the plants directly.

Mike

Nathan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:28 AM
where would u be able to get somethin like that?

Noddy65
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
Hi Nathan
Many (but not all) LFS should carry them or be able to get one for you...you can get them online as well...they pretty cheap..
You can get all sorts of reactors (the reactor dissolves the CO into the water).
The latest theory is that it is better to spray the plants directly with little CO2 bubbles rather than dissolve the CO2 completley in the water and then use that in the tank. I think the theory goes that the little bubbles often 'stick; directly on the plants and the CO2 is then available directly.

The only drama is that some always reaches the surface and is lost that way and the tank can sometimes look a little murky because of the thousand of tiny CO2 bubbles floating around.

Mike

ps.ill be coming to Melbourne in Jan for mum and dads (your grans) 50th anniversary. we might have to steal a car and go on a LFS shopping trip?

Nathan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:10 AM
oh thatd be awesome, alright then ill, ill have a look around for a reactor.

anyway lookn forward to seein u!